Sunday, October 16, 2016

Freezer Tip: Flash Freezing


Hello! Just thought I would do a quick post on Flash Freezing. I'm not certain that's the correct term, but I use it a lot. I also use this method of freezing quite a bit for items I don't want to freeze stuck together. That way I can use one or two pieces at the same time, but they can all be stored together.


Lemon slices flash freeze well. Slices are perfect for drinks or to top fish before baking.
For smaller things like chopped carrots, it's great because I can measure out a cup of chopped carrots while cooking. It's a time saver. And if you have any "use it or lose it" fruits, like bananas or berries that are on the verge of needing to be tossed, you can freeze them with this method. Need a 1/4 cup for smoothies? No problem, they won't be frozen in a huge block but in individual pieces.
You can see more posts on things I flash freeze through this link HERE.

Today I am showing you chicken. But this method can be one for all sorts of foods like
Berries
Fruits- cut up bananas, rhubarb
Cooked  or uncooked meatballs, wontons, egg rolls, mozerella sticks, cooked matzo balls (really, there's a post on that coming up)
Vegetables- chopped bell peppers, chopped onions, chopped carrots, chopped celery
Different cuts of meats 
Slices of galangal, slices of ginger, strips of citrus zest
I freeze a ton of things this way!

The Method for Flash Freezing

Dry foods as much as possible, so that water doesn't freeze the foods onto the baking sheet. Making them hard to remove.
Scatter pieces of food on a rimmed baking sheet, in one layer, not snuggled up against each other. Barely touching is okay as long as they will easily break apart once frozen.
Freeze.
Transfer to freezer safe containers or bags.
Label, date, and store in the freezer.

Note-
Smaller foods can be frozen on a piece of parchment on top of a baking sheet. This will make them easier to transfer to containers. Pick up the parchment paper, gathering all the frozen pieces of food and slide them into containers. Freezing on parchment or wax paper also helps to break up any pieces stuck together.


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.