Thursday, March 21, 2013

Curry Meatballs and Mashed Cauliflower

 These meatballs are so simple. They freeze so well also. I made them one night on a fluke really. I was going to make meatloaf and I didn't have any tomatoes to make tomato sauce, and I didn't have canned tomatoes. So I decided to make meatballs instead. Because these are Whole30 meatballs, they don't have any grain- you can always add breadcrumbs to them if you would like. This is not spicy, I love spicy hot food but the girls don't eat that spicy.
I served them with Basil Mashed Cauliflower and steamed broccoli. They would be excellent over rice though.

More GPAC on ChowStalker.
 Find me on ChowStalker.

 Click here for more Whole30 posts.

Give Peas  A Chance Curry Meatballs

1 tablespoon coconut oil, ghee, or olive oil
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1-2 tablespoons curry powder
Kosher salt or Red Boat fish sauce
2 pounds of meat use a combination of  lean ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork, ground chicken, ground lamb, OR ground veal)
3 eggs
1 carrot grated
1/4 cup chopped parsley

  1. In a pan cook the bell pepper, onion, and garlic until soft and fragrant.
  2. Turn off the heat and stir in the seasonings. Let this cool.
  3. Mix the bell pepper mixture with the remaining ingredients to combine. 
  4. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. It's easier to form meatballs with filling that is chilled.
  5. Form meatballs- using about 2 tablespoons of mixture.
  6. Place meatballs into a baking dish.
  7. Bake 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes  

These are good served as is. They freeze very well. See the recipe below for how I reheat them from frozen.

Give Peas A Chance Coconut Curry Meatballs

1/2 recipe of meatballs (if frozen, don't thaw)
3/4 cup of coconut milk
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon Thai chili powder, or cayenne (to taste)
Kosher salt- or Red Boat fish sauce

Garnish
Chopped cilantro or flat leaf parsley

  1. Mix the ingredients together then pour them over the meatballs. 
  2. Cover tightly with foil.
  3. Bake in a 400 degree oven until heated through.
    Garnish.
*Canned coconut milk, like Thai Kitchen unsweetened
*I used leftover Cabbage Roll sauce that was in the freezer, in place of the chopped tomatoes. I didn't thaw it first.
*About Red Boat- it's my favorite fish sauce. Hand's down, I grew up on Tiparos. But I tried Red Boat because there is no sugar in it. I much prefer it's flavor.
*The curry powder I use is an Indian Curry powder, but you can also use a Thai Curry paste for the sauce. Whatever you like.

Meatballs and tomatoes are frozen.

 Mashed Cauliflower, I didn't make mine too smooth. But you can whip these as smooth as you like, especially if you use a blender. Like I did for the gravy posted HERE.

 Mashed Cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower
Kosher salt
1-2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
1-2 cloves of garlic minced- or grated with a microplane
1-2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves (optional)

  1. Wash cauliflower. 
  2. Trim off all of the leaves. 
  3. Break or cut the cauliflower into pieces. 
  4. Steam for about 15 minutes until tender. I use the stalks also.
  5. Transfer to a food processor. Puree. Add cooking water or broth if needed.
  6. Add seasonings. Puree. Taste. Adjust seasonings. Serve.
*I used ghee "cubes" that I had made for my freezer- these have basil, garlic, fleur de sel, and homemade ghee in them.  Process in a food processor, pour into an ice cube tray and freeze. Perfect to stop steaks, vegetables, fish, and more.
*My mashed cauliflower looks orange because I had half a sweet potato that was baked in the refrigerator. It needed to be eaten so I threw it in. It did give my cauliflower a creaminess that you might miss from potatoes.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.