Monday, August 10, 2015

Lao Style Egg Rolls


Egg Rolls are a childhood favorite of mine.
My children enjoy them also.
We eat them "plain" or in lettuce wraps.

I originally posted this Egg Roll "method" here. It's not really a recipe because I tend to make my Egg Rolls with whatever is on hand. This time around I threw in 1/3 cup of black fungus, that was soaked in water and rinsed well. I do prefer pork in my egg rolls, but I don't mind doing half pork and turkey or chicken. I feel beef is a little over powering.
Golden brown goodness: Egg Rolls

I'm reposting with some updated pictures and hopefully better instructions. For actual rolling instructions, please refer to the original post.
Wrapped and ready to be fried until golden brown.

Wrapper with filling on top. Egg wash is brushed on the
 upper half of the wrapper to  insure that
 the wrapper doesn't come undone in the hot oil


Wrapped in lettuce, with cucumber, carrots, cilantro, and rice
 vermicelli. Nom nom.
These are the wrappers I use, you don't want thick Chinese
 Egg Roll wrappers, and you don't want rice paper wrappers,
  You don't have to use this brand but you want something thin like this.

Give Peas A Chance Lao Style Egg Rolls


1- 1.5 bundles of Bean thread/cellophane noodles 
1.5 pounds ground Pork
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1.5 medium onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 eggs
1/3 cup black fungus, soaked in water until soft
Black pepper
1 package of 50 count egg roll/spring roll wrappers (see picture)
Oil for frying
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water for an egg wash


  1. Soak cellophane noodles in warm water until they are pliable. Then drain and cut to make them a little shorter. 
  2. Drain and rinse black fungus, if using. Roughly chop.
  3. Place all the ingredients into a bowl (except the egg roll wrappers, egg wash, and frying oil).
  4. Mix to combine ingredients. Don't over work, just combine the ingredients.
  5. Keep the egg roll wrappers in the packaging taking only one out at a time, or they will dry out and get brittle. You can place a damp paper towel on top of the packaging if needed.
  6.  Place about 1-1.5 tablespoons of filling on a wrapper.  I put the filling in bottom corner of the wrapper, up towards the middle. (I don't measure how much filling goes into the wrappers, that's just approximate but don't over fill these)
  7. Starting from the bottom and roll up once, covering the filling with wrapper.
  8. Fold the two horizontal sides of the wrapper over the egg roll.
  9. Then keep rolling up.
  10. Brush the last corner of the wrapper with a little egg wash. 
  11. Roll the wrapper up and make sure it's sealed.
  12. Fry them in hot oil (350-360 degrees) until golden brown and they are cooked through. Approximately 2-3 minutes. I just cook until golden brown then I test the first one that comes out and adjust cooking time from there.
  13. Place cooked egg rolls on a cooling rack so they stay crispy.
Serve with your favorite sauces as is, or slice and wrap these up in lettuce with herbs, vegetables, and rice noodles as shown.


  • My mom used to cut the squares in half because she didn't like layer upon layer of wrapper, this makes them more crispy also, it's a matter of preference. More layers give a little chewy bite to the egg rolls.
  • There are so many ways to wrap an egg roll, just make sure it's fairly tight and they are about the same size for even cooking.
  • If you don't have a pastry brush use your finger tips. My mom never used a brush for the egg wash.
  • Once rolled these can be frozen on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. They can be take out and fried frozen from the freezer. Just be careful, and cook them a minute or two longer.
  • Filling- you can add chicken, ground turkey, shrimp, tofu, shredded cabbage, bean sprouts, green onion, etc to this filling. Add what you like.
  • Sometimes these wrappers are called spring roll wrappers, they are not however rice or tapioca wrappers used for Spring rolls shown here.
Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.