![]() |
| Egg Rolls are a childhood favorite of mine. My children enjoy them also. We eat them "plain" or in lettuce wraps. |
I originally posted this Egg Roll "method" here. It's not really a recipe because I tend to make my Egg Rolls with whatever is on hand. This time around I threw in 1/3 cup of black fungus, that was soaked in water and rinsed well. I do prefer pork in my egg rolls, but I don't mind doing half
pork and turkey or chicken. I feel beef is a little over powering.
There is a recipe for Vietnamese Rice Paper Egg Rolls- Chả Giò HERE.
![]() |
| Golden brown goodness: Egg Rolls |
I'm reposting with some updated pictures and hopefully better instructions. For actual rolling instructions, please refer to the original post.
![]() |
| Wrapped and ready to be fried until golden brown. |
![]() |
| Wrapper with filling on top. Egg wash is brushed on the upper half of the wrapper to insure that the wrapper doesn't come undone in the hot oil |
![]() |
| Wrapped in lettuce, with cucumber, carrots, cilantro, and rice vermicelli. Nom nom. |
![]() |
| These are the wrappers I use, you don't want thick Chinese Egg Roll wrappers, and you don't want rice paper wrappers, You don't have to use this brand but you want something thin like this. |
Give Peas A Chance Lao Style Egg Rolls
1- 1.5 bundles of Bean thread/cellophane noodles
1.5 pounds ground Pork2 carrots, peeled, grated
1.5 cups grated taro (optional, I didn't have any this time)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chicken powder
2 teaspoons mushroom powder, unsalted
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 eggs
1/3 cup black fungus, soaked in water until soft
1.5 teaspoons Black or white pepper, ground
1 package of 50-count egg roll/spring roll wrappers (see picture)
Oil for frying
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water for an egg wash
- Soak cellophane noodles in warm water until they are pliable. Then drain and cut to make them a little shorter. Approximately one-inch pieces.
- Drain and rinse black fungus, if using. Roughly chop. Take the carrots, onion, taro, and black fungus and squeeze as much liquid out as possible; I use my hands.
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl (except the egg roll wrappers, egg wash, and frying oil).
- Mix to combine ingredients.
- Keep the egg roll wrappers in the packaging, taking only one out at a time, or they will dry out and get brittle. You can place a damp paper towel on top of the packaging if needed.
- Place about 1-1.5 tablespoons of filling on a wrapper. I put the filling in the bottom corner of the wrapper, up towards the middle. (I don't measure how much filling goes into the wrappers; that's just approximate, but don't overfill these)
- Starting from the bottom and roll up once, covering the filling with the wrapper.
- Fold the two horizontal sides of the wrapper over the egg roll.
- Then keep rolling up.
- Brush the last corner of the wrapper with a little egg wash.
- Roll the wrapper up and make sure it's sealed.
- Fry them in hot oil (320*F ) for 5 minutes. Remove from oil and continue frying the rest of the egg rolls. Then turn the oil up to 375*-390* and fry them for another 4 minutes until they are cooked through. Frying them twice makes them extra crispy.
- Place cooked egg rolls on a cooling rack so they stay crispy.
Serve with your favorite sauces as is, or slice and wrap these up in lettuce with herbs, vegetables, and rice noodles as shown.
- My mom used to cut the squares in half because she didn't like layer upon layer of wrapper, this makes them more crispy also, it's a matter of preference. More layers give a little chewy bite to the egg rolls.
- There are so many ways to wrap an egg roll, just make sure it's fairly tight and they are about the same size for even cooking.
- If you don't have a pastry brush use your finger tips. My mom never used a brush for the egg wash.
- Once rolled these can be frozen on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. They can be take out and fried frozen from the freezer. Just be careful, and cook them a minute or two longer.
- Filling- you can add chicken, ground turkey, shrimp, tofu, shredded cabbage, bean sprouts, green onion, etc to this filling. Add what you like.
- Sometimes these wrappers are called spring roll wrappers; they are not however, rice or tapioca wrappers used for Spring rolls shown here.







Thanks for posting the recipe & instructions. I've never really learned it from my mom, watched/helped a few times and got bored-went out to play instead. Now I have to learn her way, includes MSG (for most of the time).
ReplyDeleteGonna have to do this recipe this week w/ the kids, then head back home (NW Chicago sub) to learn mom's original way-80yo grandma cooking!!!