Thursday, August 25, 2016

Pressure Cooker Hatch Green Chile Sauce


It's Chile Season y'all! The girls and I went and picked up our annual stash of Hatch Green Chile this year. We have been so blessed to have a couple of local grocery stores that stock them.Two of which will roast them in big roasters like they do back in the 505. That's New Mexico. This year my oldest chose "hot", we ended up with 40 pounds. The girls helped me peel and deseed them all. 



While we processed the chile I threw a batch of this Green Chile sauce into the Instant Pot and it came out beautifully. I do put a portion in the blender because that's the consistency we like. I stocked our freezer with:
FIVE packs of chilies prepped for Chile Rellenos
FOUR 2 cup bags of chopped
ONE 1 cup bag of chopped
SIX quarts of Green Chile Sauce

Hatch Green Chile Sauce

YAY!! We're all set for the year! I hope we have enough, last year I did 60 pounds.
If you don't want to make this sauce in a pressure cooker, here is my stove top method.
Use this sauce for:
Enchiladas
Pulled beef, chicken, or pork. (In a slow cooker or pressure cooker, pour it over the meat, cook, and shred for tacos, taquitos, burritos, wraps, to serve with rice.)
Smother burritos
Huevos Rancheros
Top eggs
Top omelets
For shrimp or fish
In stews or soups

Freezer Tip: Freeze this sauce in freezer bags flat, so they can stack or file easy for storage. You can also use freezer safe jars. Find more Freezer Tips here.

More Hatch Green Chile posts
How to roast these bad boys at home and make Chile Rellenos


For more Instant Pot recipes, click HERE.



Give Peas A Chance Hatch Green Chile Sauce

3 tablespoons cooking oil or lard, I use avocado oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed*
1 teaspoon ground cumin*
2 cups roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped Hatch Green Chile
Salt, to taste
3 tablespoons flour*

  1. Heat oil in a on saute medium high in the Instant Pot.
  2. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
  3. Add spices.
  4. Whisk in stock.
  5. Add chile to the stock.
  6. Close and lock the lid.
  7. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
  8. Let the pot naturally release pressure for about 25 minutes.
  9. You can leave the sauce chunky or use blend to make it smooth.
  10. To thicken the sauce, add 3 tablespoons of flour to 1 cup of cold water or stock and whisk so that there are no lumps.
  11. Stir flour mixture into the pot and set it on saute mode, let the sauce boil until thickened. 
  12. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or freeze. 
* You can also sub 2 teaspoons of this Taco Seasoning for the coriander seed and cumin for a little different flavor.

* The flour is used as a thickener, you can thicken with cornstarch instead or leave a thickener out all together for a gluten free/grain free sauce.


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.