Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Are you buying taco seasoning?

Are you buying taco seasoning packets? Stop! You should try this, so much less sodium and you know exactly what's in it! No MSG or fillers! In my opinion it tastes much better too. I have used it for many other things than just tacos. But just add the seasoning to taste, and add a bit of water after your beef is browned. I also like to put chicken breasts in the crock pot and sprinkle this on top, that's it no water or anything, let it cook then shred the chicken for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, whatever.

Give Peas A Chance Taco Seasoning

3 tablespoons chili powder (salt free)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
4 1/2 teaspoons of cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt*
3 teaspoons black pepper

Mix it all together, I keep it in a jar so I don't have to make it all the time. Adjust whatever seasonings to your taste. I make ours without salt, and add that as I cook.
Some people like to add dried bouillon but be careful about what's in the bouillon you're using if you want to avoid MSG.
Update:  mushroom seasoning can be added also for umami

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. This was really good. I added a little more cumin and garlic powder to it.
    YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.