Thursday, April 14, 2011

Healthier Green Chile Stew

I might need to start blogging just a weekly "menu" or journal of what I'm eating, this takes up too much time. Time I hardly have. Day four has been awesome! Feeling good! In spite of staying up until 0400- yes o'early hundred, to read. 
Eating is getting easier. I wasn't hungry this morning when I got up so I made a cup of one of my favorite teas only to find that it has soy and dairy products in it. What? Ugh. I had it with a splash of heavy cream, just to make sure I didn't get woozy I added that bit of fat in. 
For lunch Pixie girl and I shared sliced tomatoes and fried eggs. Today she was a big eater at lunch and ate half of everything. Then she had pretzels, I did not follow her in that direction. I had some cashews as a snack...  and lots of water today!



 Dinner was awesome. I made a huge pot of this stew with the last of my green chilies I've been hoarding. I promise you people I am a simple girl- give me my steaks medium rare/rare, my salmon raw and sashimi style and my chilies from Hatch New Mexico and I'm happy.
I used the pork from last nights dinner, check the post below this. Here is my original recipe. I'm not a fan of potatoes, so you won't see me use them much, most green chili stew recipes call for potatoes. Like I said, I'm not a fan. I do like sweet potatoes. I left the hominy out since it's much like corn. I also added more veggies.
If you don't have Hatch green chilies use poblanos. Roast them like you would any pepper, there is instructions here.

Healthier Green Chile Stew

1-2 teaspoons Coconut oil (I've linked the one I use below)
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic minced
2 teaspoons chili powder- if you like smokey use ancho
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes- I used a 15 ounce can
1 cup sliced cabbage- not cole slaw thin
Leftover pork carnitas- plus any juices 
1 cup roasted, peeled and chopped green chilies- seeds removed is optional
2 tbs cilantro chopped - plus more for garnish
 Low sodium Chicken or beef stock- check the ingredients for sugars, msg, soy, and fillers if it's not homemade 
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice from 1/2 a lime- to taste
serve with- shredded cabbage, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, lime wedges

1. Heat the coconut oil in a dutch oven. Cook the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook until a little soft.
2. Add chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, cabbage, shredded pork, green chilies and enough stock/broth to cover the ingredients. Simmer until cabbage is soft. This doesn't take long.
3. Add lime juice and cilantro before serving. Taste and add more lime juice, salt or pepper as needed.

I had two of those fudge balls and some fresh mozzarella and tomato slices after dinner. Those fudge balls are going to be my undoing. So good though. Even if they have no refined sugars the dates are sugary so I can't gorge on them. 

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.