Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pork Carnitas


This is easy to make and we all loved it. The girls ate so much, so did Pixie girl. I made extra meat for some soup later on in the week. Pork shoulder is an inexpensive cut of meat. It does have fat on it and requires some trimming. But it's also very flavorful!
I also made some jalapeno poppers with jalapenos and other chili peppers.

Smokey Ancho Chile Spice
Crock pot Carnitas
Chipotle Carnitas (Crock pot)
Carnitas 
Holy Mole Carnitas
Carnitas as leftovers for breakfast
Carnitas as leftovers in Green Chile Stew


Carnitas
3 pounds pork shoulder (butt) roast
1 cup orange juice
6-10 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons chile powder
cayenne pepper to taste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tbsp sea salt
water or broth just to cover pork
2 bay leaves

Cut pork shoulder in pieces, trim the big chunks of fat off of it and put it in a dutch oven. Add the remaining ingredients, and enough water/broth to cover the meat. Bring the to a boil then place the lid on top, offset so some steam can escape.
Let the meat simmer/low boil until the liquid is evaporated about 2 1/2-3 hours. Once the liquid is evaporated check to see if the pork is tender, if it isn't add more liquid and simmer longer. *my pork was too tender, it just shredded and there weren't many bigger pieces, so instead of simmering for so long next time I am going to turn the heat up and cook it like I do pork for spring roll filling*
Break the pork into small chunks with a fork.
Turn up the heat and fry the meat until brown and crispy.
I served this with white corn tortillas, whole grain tortillas, fresh tomatoes, lime, green onion, cilantro and slices of avocado.

*I also have just thrown this all in the crock pot
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I never would have thought to cook pork with orange juice.

    What is the side dish in the photo? Some sort of stuffed peppers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Amy! they are jalapeno poppers, I linked them!
    thank you for the comment too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I think I will be making this meal very soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.