|Apple Cider Steel Cut Oats|
It's just the right weather for hot breakfast isn't it? I like to send the kids off with a hot bowl in their tummies before school. Although I like oats for a snack or even lunch too. But that's me and the fact that I don't always sit down until about lunch time after I get the kids off to school.
|You can make these oats and keep them on warm until you're ready to eat also.|
These oats are one of the few times I'll cook my fruit into the pot. I usually prefer uncooked fruit. But apples, and even peaches will just melt into the oats beautifully. There's no real need to sweeten this oatmeal, the apples themselves are sweet and the addition of apple cider I think adds plenty of flavor and sweetness.
|Apples, cinnamon, and star anise flavor this oatmeal.|
The aroma of whole spices and pie spice is warm and inviting. I hope you'll try this version of steel cut oats. They can be made on the stove top or slow cooker also, just follow the methods in my other posts. Find other versions here:
Apple Cider Steel Cut Oats (Instant Pot)
1 cup of steel cut oats
1 tablespoon butter, coconut oil, or olive oil for dairy free
2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1 stick cinnamon
2 star anise
1 teaspoon apple pie spicePinch of salt
1.5 cups water
2 cups Apple cider
Sweetener- brown sugar, agave, honey (Optional)
- Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode.
- Once heated add butter.
- Add whole spices along with apple pie spice to toast until fragrant.
- Add apples*, oats, salt, and vanilla.
- Add liquid, stir.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual, for ten minutes at high pressure. (10HP/5NPR= 10 minutes high pressure/ 5 minutes natural pressure release.)
- Once the timer goes off turn the Instant Pot off and set a timer for 5- 10 minutes.
- Release remaining pressure.
- Stir and sweeten to taste, if desired.
- Serve topped with apples (and/or a splash of cream and chopped nuts)
*If you prefer the apples to have more of a bite to them and for them not to melt into the oats sauce them until just soft with the butter and spices. Then REMOVE the apples and set them aside. Continue with the recipe. After the oats are finished cooking, stir the apples back into the pot.
That's it! Enjoy your Apple Cider Steel Cut Oats!
Find me on