Thursday, September 1, 2016

Pressure Cooker/ Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats

Steel Cut Oats with sliced almonds, honey, cinnamon, and cream.

Steel Cut oats. I haven't made these on the stove top in years, I've been throwing them in the rice cooker, setting the timer and in the morning there are oats ready for us. As of today I have't tried the delay cooking on my Instant Pot. But I have made oats a LOT. Huge batches when there have been ten people at breakfast and smaller portions for just the 4 of us. I make our oats right in the insert of my pressure cooker. I have not tried the "pot in pot" method. I may do that at some point. But I haven't had any issues with the valve getting clogged up because I do a natural pressure release. My understanding is that the pressure valve can get clogged if the cooking liquid from starchy foods get trapped in there. I am mindful of the max fill line on the Instant Pot insert, I haven't ever made so many oats that I have come even close to hitting it. If that were the case I would make two batches under the max fill line to be on the safe side. 


These oven safe bowls would work perfectly in an Instant Pot, they even have little lids.
Pot in pot cooking is when you use an oven safe vessel inside the Instant Pot insert. You set the vessel/s on top of the trivet with water underneath. For steel cut oats you leave the vessel uncovered, use 1:3 oats to liquid ratio, and cook the oats on High pressure for same amount of cooking time as listed below. The soup crocks in the pictures here are oven safe so they would be perfect for PIP cooking but I can't only fit maybe three in my Instant Pot at a time.

While it isn't necessary to toast spices or the oats before cooking, it does add tons of flavor!

I like to saute my oats in a little butter or ghee if I have the time before adding water and cooking them. This step is optional, same goes for adding any flavorings, spices, fruit etc. Using the saute function does help heat up the pot and ingredients, helping it to come up to pressure quicker when the oats are cooking. So does using hot liquid. It's not necessary, but it speeds things up.

Just a quick toasting, not long at all!

I usually add cinnamon, cardamom pods, and or nutmeg to oats if I know we want to eat them a little on the sweet side with milk. They are also good plain or with broth, with a fried egg or poached egg on top.

For more Instant Pot recipes, click HERE.

Pressure Cooker Steel Cut Oats

1:3.5 cups oats: water (water, broth, juice, tea)
Pinch of salt

Optional:
Couple of teaspoons Butter or ghee
Cinnamon stick, vanilla, cardamom pods, etc



  1. Put the kettle on if heating water.
  2. Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode. 
  3. Once heated add butter or ghee. (If you are not toasting the oats or spices skip steps 3 & 4.)
  4. Add oats and spices to toast a little. 
  5. Add liquid, stir.
  6. Set the Instant Pot to Manual, for ten minutes at high pressure. (10HP/5NPR= 10 minutes high pressure/ 5 minutes natural pressure release.)
  7. Once the timer goes off turn the Instant Pot off and set a timer for 5- 10 minutes. 
  8. Release remaining pressure.
  9. Stir, add any dried fruit etc. 


That's it! So easy peasy right? The oats come out creamy and I haven't had any issues with them sticking to the bottom of my pot or anything. I hope you'll try this! Enjoy!


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.