Thursday, October 20, 2016

Steel Cut Tropical Oats


Talk about "Throwback  Thursday", today I had a bowl of oats that was much like what I used to make for my toddlers and babies. Except of course, at the time theirs looked like this:


Baby Tropical Oat breakfast, great for toddlers also.
It wasn't pretty, but it was good and nutritious. I truly believe that (PART) of the reason my kids eat so well is that I tried to expose them to so much. Spices in oatmeal and congee. Different fruits and vegetables. I offered them over and over again. My kids don't like everything, and have their moments but I feel very blessed that they will eat all that they do. 
That picture above is from 2009, you can see the original post here. WOW. I can't believe it. I was thinking about it the other day and I started this blog in November of 2007. I think that was when I posted my first school lunch. So I'm really close to TEN years. For a hobby, that's a long time. Or it is to me. It's been fun, I've met some great people along the way. Hopefully this will be a resource my kids can look back on. Unless something crashes and I lose it all. Which is kind of terrifying. Anyway.
I'm not making baby or toddler foods and meals anymore but we still eat many of the same foods, probably all of them. Just differently. This updated Tropical Oat Breakfast looks so much more appealing doesn't it? I topped mine with Macadamia nuts today. If I am serving my kids nuts are on the side, as I have a nut free child.
Steel Cut Oats topped with all the yummy things.

 Mmm. So yum. As the weather gets cold, dreary, and grey this breakfast can be a colorful pick me up. Unless you don't get cold, dreary, grey weather. Which then, I'm sad for you because I love that kind of weather!
Here are some random pictures off my phone from my last grocery trip of fruits that might be yummy...

Mango
Durian
Jackfruit

I make my steel cut oats several ways, you can find each method below:

Two methods, one is toppings for individual bowls, and below that is a cooked method.

Steel Cut Tropical Oatmeal

Steel cut oats prepared
Coconut milk
Chose an extract: Vanilla, almond, citrus, bananas, rum, or coconut
Sweetener of choice- honey, brown sugar, agave, etc

Toppings to your taste:
Bananas
Mango
Pineapple
Strawberries
Coconut flakes 
Young coconut
Macadamia nuts
Almonds
Ripe papaya
Rambutan
Lychee
Kiwi
Guava
Star Fruit
Chia seeds (gelled)
Flax seed
Durian- I dare you :P

  1. Stir coconut milk into cooked oats to taste, along with vanilla and/or almond extract. The almond gives a great cherry flavor.
  2. Sweeten to taste.
  3. Top with your favorite toppings.
  4. Grumble, because this isn't even a recipe.
  5. But still enjoy your awesome breakfast.

Steel Cut Tropical Oats (Instant Pot)

1 cup of steel cut oats
1 tablespoon coconut fat that had settled to the top of the coconut milk can BEFORE shaking
2 cups water
1.5 cups canned coconut milk
Pinch of salt
Chose an extract: Vanilla, almond, citrus, bananas, rum, or coconut (Try the coconut!)
Sweetener- brown sugar, agave, honey
  1. Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode. 
  2. Once heated add coconut fat.
  3. Add oats to toast a little. 
  4. Add liquid, stir.
  5. Set the Instant Pot to Manual, for ten minutes at high pressure. (10HP/5NPR= 10 minutes high pressure/ 5 minutes natural pressure release.)
  6. Once the timer goes off turn the Instant Pot off and set a timer for 5- 10 minutes. 
  7. Release remaining pressure.
  8. Stir, add toppings and another drizzle of coconut milk.
I don't cook the fruit with my oats because I like it fresh and not... mushy for this. I do cook other fruits in oats like peaches and apples though.
That's it! Enjoy your Tropical Oats!

 


Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.