Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow day Picnic ( Quick steelcut oats)

Steel Cut Oatmeal
The girls had a snow day least week so I bundled up the girls and sent them outside. After they played for a bit we cleared off the picnic table and had breakfast outside.
To save time on cooking the oats boil 4 cups of water and stir the oats in and cooked them for minute. After a minute, turn off the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Leave overnight. In the morning bring to a boil and cook until tender about 8-10 minutes. I do sometimes need to add water.
I cooked these oats with two cinnamon sticks.
*Now I just put the oats in my rice cooker with the water and spices and turn it on for regular white rice. If I make it the night before I set the timer for 8 hours and in the morning it's ready for the girls to get up and serve themselves. SO easy.


Here is another link on how to do the quick stove top method LINK.
I do have a crock pot version but I only put oats in the crock pot for 2 hours or it gets too mushy for me..

Mixin's 
Pistachios
Almonds
Bluberries
Cinnamon
Milk
Chocolate chips- the only thing I had a limit on for the girls, 2 teaspoons each



Want something Tropical? Tropical Oats.

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.