Saturday, March 30, 2013

Coconut Curry Spaghetti Squash

I made this dish one day when DH called and asked if we'd pick him up and take him to McDonald's before he had to get back to school. So I threw this together in literally less than ten minutes. I had leftovers, so of course it was fast. But even if you make this from scratch it's soo worth it. I promise. Just that afternoon I was posting on Facebook about how yummy Coconut butter was and that I was brainstorming more ways to use it. So the opportunity rose when DH called, talk about no time to think either! This sauce is much like the Sunbutter Satay sauce I have posted here.
This will serve 2-4 people depending on how much you are serving, if it's all you are serving or if it's a side dish. I didn't make that much but even the serving I made was so much!
Make your Spaghetti Squash in the crock pot, recipe HERE, if you haven't prepared it in advance or don't have leftovers.


Give Peas A Chance Coconut Curry Spaghetti Squash

4 cups cooked Spaghetti squash

Sauce
2 tablespoons coconut butter*
2-4 tablespoons of Red Curry paste (more if you like it hot!)
3 tablespoons of Organic Sunbutter
Water
Red Boat fish sauce
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper 
1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken cubed or shredded

Garnish
Cilantro
Lime wedge
Green onion

  1. Heat the spaghetti squash if it's cold. Set it aside.
    Put the coconut butter, curry paste, and Sunbutter in a bowl. Heat this in the microwave for 30 seconds or until you can stir it. 
  2. Add about 1/3 of a cup of water, stir, and heat in the microwave again. 
  3. Taste, add fish sauce, stir, taste, adjust seasonings. Including the heat by adding chili powder, coconut butter, or increasing the curry paste. This is a matter of preference. 
  4. Add more water if the sauce is too thick.
  5. Toss the sauce with the squash, red bell peppers, and chicken.
  6. Serve with the garnishes.



*You can cook your spaghetti squash in  the crock pot, in the microwave, or roast it in the oven.
* Chicken can be omitted, you can substitute cooked pork, tofu, shrimp, or leave it out all together.
*I used Organic Sunbutter- just sunflower seeds, no sugar. Peanut, cashew, or almond butter can be used also.
*My go to fish sauce is Red Boat, it has no sugar in it. You can substitute kosher salt.
*Thai Kitchen makes whole30 compliant curry paste and coconut milk.
*Artisana makes a great creamy coconut butter. Other ones I've tried are a little more grainy. If you don't have coconut butter, use coconut milk.
* Want more heat? Try Thai ground chilies SO good, and nice and spicy. If you're not doing Whole30- Sriracha is awesome. Stir it in when warming the sauce.
 *I keep chopped green onions in a bottle in the freezer. Perfect for shaking out.
*This sauce should be fairly thick, but still thin enough to toss the squash in.
I have had this twice in a week, so two pictures :)

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I haven't thought of using curry on a spaghetti squash! What a great idea! I would love for you to share this at what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/04/what-i-am-eating.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I totally forgot to link up I hope to see you soon on here though!

      Delete
  2. I made this last night as a side for dinner and we LOVED it! BONUS...it was crazy easy! I omitted the red bell pepper, since my hubby isn't a fan, but I fine chopped some fresh jalepeno and added it to the sauce. I also used a golden curry because I had it handy in the pantry. It was delicious and fits our Paleo lifestyle. Also, much better than preparing spaghetti style with red sauce, etc.. Thank you! P.S. leftovers for lunch today, YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! I hop you have a wonderful week.
      and I agree I like it much better than red sauce on my squash!

      Delete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.