Saturday, March 2, 2013

Chocolate Mint Cheesecake Cake

Okay, so I realize that my picture taking (lack of) skills are sad. You already know that, we're cool with that. Well, enter my photo shop collage making skills. I am not cut out for all this fancy stuff, I used a tutorial online. So... don't laugh okay? Just enjoy the goodness that is this amazing cake. And amazing it was. Cheesecake cakes aren't new, they are all over Pinterest, there's a gorgeous white cake one with crushed candy cane's that is just so pretty. I've seen Red Velvet ones that make me swoon, the Red Velvet one at The Cheesecake Factory is one of my favorites. My girls wanted Ande's mints though, so I went with that. This is very simple, I promise. If I can do it, you can do it. I am not a great baker. Nor can I frost cakes if you look closely you can see that.
For the frosting I only had enough whipped cream to cover the top. So sad, but I stabilized it and put it on the top. I used a regular chocolate frosting for the sides of the cake. 
 Use your favorite Chocolate cake recipe for this. You can bake the layers and put them in the freezer as you go.

Give Peas A Chance Chocolate Mint Cheesecake Cake

2 layers of chocolate cake links to recipes below
1 layer of Chocolate Mint Cheesecake- recipe below
Icing/frosting
Andes Mints for decoration

Chocolate Mint Cheesecake
3 packages of cream cheese- 8 ounces each, softened
4 eggs
1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
2/3 cup chopped Andes Mint candies
1 tablespoon flour
Green food coloring- optional

Bake your favorite chocolate cake, add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract to the recipe. Bake two cake layers and let them cool. Wrap well and place in the freezer while you bake the cheesecake.

For the cheesecake-
Prepare the same pan you used to bake the cakes by lining it with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Whip/beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy in a mixer. Beat in the eggs until incorporated.  Add the sugar, butter, sour cream, and extracts to the cream cheese mixture. If using the food coloring, add some now. Beat well.
Toss the candies in the flour and stir them into the  cream cheese mixture.
Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
Bake the cheesecake for 20-25 minutes. It will wiggle in the middle, that's okay, it will set up once cooled.
Let the cheesecake cool completely.

To assemble the cake-
Once cooled loosen the foil around the cheesecake, especially the sides carefully.
Place the cheesecake layer in between the two cake layers. Wrap well and place in the freezer until you are ready to frost the cake. It's easier for me to frost a frozen cake.
Add a thin layer of frosting to the cake, it doesn't have to be pretty. It just prepares the surface of the cake and holds in the crumbs. Place this in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
Frost the cake with the remaining icing. Top with Andes Mints.

* I use Philadelphia cream cheese, full fat for the cheesecake.
* I use less sugar for the cheesecake, but I don't like things too sweet.
* I  marbled my cheesecake. To do that pour 2/3 of the batter into the pan. Then tint the remaining batter with food coloring. Drop the green batter by spoonful onto the batter in the cake pan. Take a knife and "cut" through the batter across the pan.
*I have a couple of Chocolate Cake recipes on here that you can try. This King Arthur one, and this Hershey one. I have also doctored up box cake mix and it's pretty darn good.

Doctored Box Cake
1 box of cake mix
Add one extra egg
Substitute milk for the water
Substitute butter for the oil, and double the amount.

Mix and bake as directed.

The best thing about this cake is that it doesn't matter if you get a crack in your cheesecake!


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. I love cheesecake and this one looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness that looks good!! I love the look of the topping too!!!

    Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous!! It looks delish.
    Our party is live now, and we would like to invite you to share this there: http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/
    Hope to see you there.
    Thanks!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowsers! That looks awesome! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh mint and chocolate is my favorite! Thank you for sharing the recipe, and for joining the share your Love -blog hop ;)
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome and thanks so much for letting me link up!

      Delete
  6. This looks so good and I think your photos look terrific you did a great job with the collage. This recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday Anything Goes party this week.

    I've pinned this and shared it on my FB page. Hope to see you again soon.
    A FFF co-host Joanne/Winelady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome looking cheesecake. Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.