Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hershey's "Especially Dark" chocolate cake

This recipe is in the back of the Hershey's Special Dark cocoa container. So look there in case there is a typo or two here. Fair warning about this cake it is RICH, so very very good though. Especially if you need a good chocolate fix.
Unlike me, you might want to read through the recipe before you start... so you don't leave out something important, like say... the flour :-0, told you I wasn't a baker,
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water


Butter and flour two 8 inch cake pans.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.







Stir together your sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and soda.









Stir it up...






As you can see by the color of what's in my mixing bowl... something is mixing, but alas I didn't figure that out until a bit later...








Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Start beating...







Realize you forgot the flour... eh oh well... add it now. Beat on medium speed for two minutes.





Stir in boiling water.









Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes. Test with a toothpick. (I baked mine for 30 minutes).






Let them cool for ten minutes.









Remove from pans and let cool completely.







Now your frosting... I was thinking when I was making this that there was no way this recipe would be enough to frost the cake, I usually use two store bought containers of icing for a 2 layer cake, but in the end it was more than enough and the girls got a spoonful each of frosting.

1 stick of butter
2/3 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 c milk
1 tsp of vanilla extract I used more

Melt your butter.








Put the butter into your mixing bowl. Stir in the cocoa.










I added the vanilla at this time also.








Alternately add a little bit of the powdered sugar and milk. Beat each time.















Until you have a good frosting that is spreadable, add milk if you need to.






Start frosting your cooled cakes.









ta-da!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.