Saturday, April 7, 2012

Spicy Broccoli Slaw

 DH who doesn't like coleslaw will eat one or two servings of this. Piglet who prefers broccoli cooked things it's "yummy." Diva and I love it. Pixie will eat it and well, at 3 it's all I can ask sometimes.
I almost never have green onions on hand. Diva loves green onions, but she's the only one in our family. I should really keep them in the freezer. I like the red bell pepper for crunch, but don't always add it. It just depends on what I have on hand around here. ;)
I serve this as a side dish, and I adapted the recipe from several sources, picture inspiration came from Pinterest where I saw Pioneer Woman's slaw in a sandwich. NOM NOM. These buns, by the way, SO good and so easy to make. (recipe HERE). For the Pork Carnitas, so easy peasy, recipe HERE.
* You can use lemon juice in place of vinegar and avocado for mayo, for something different!
Looking for Cole Slaw?
Spicy Broccoli Slaw
Asian Style Slaw
Simple Cabbage Salad

Give Peas A Chance Spicy Broccoli Coleslaw

2-3 jalapenos
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup milk
1-2 tablespoons vinegar (white or apple cider)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4-1/2 cup mayonnaise
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
kosher salt
black pepper
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
1 bag of broccoli slaw, or shred broccoli stalks, carrots and red cabbage (about 4 cups- depending on how much dressing you want)
1/2- 1 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 stalks of green onions sliced 

Stir the vinegar into the milk and let it sit for a few minutes. In a blender or magic bullet combine the milk, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, celery salt, cilantro, sour cream, maple syrup, and 1/2-1 jalapeno- seeded for less heat. Blend. (PS did you know that on most blenders you can screw the blade part onto a mason jar? Something I learned on Pinterest.)
Take the remaining jalapeno, seed and slice it into half moons. Thinly slice the cabbage and red bell pepper, if using.
Combine all the ingredients with the dressing.
Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate the coleslaw for 2-3 hours before serving.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds so good. I can't use vinegar or mayo right now but I am going to save this recipe for the day I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can use lemon juice in place of vinegar and avocado for mayo mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

      Delete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.