Tuesday, March 13, 2012

MYO Vanilla Extract

MMM, vanilla. 
I love using vanilla beans, vanilla paste, vanilla powder, vanilla extract, ground vanilla. I never measure, I just pour or scoop it in. You can't get enough good vanilla.
Recently I ran out of vanilla extract, and I've seen this make your own extract all over Pinterest. So I thought I'd give it a shot. Even if I still have to go buy a bottle of extract until this is ready to use.
I didn't have a dark glass jar or vodka. So I found this little bottle of vodka at the store and decided to use it. Even if it's clear, light glass. I store my vanillas in a cool dark place, so I wasn't too concerned. 
Just about all of the posts I read said any cheap vodka will do. Some said bourbon and some said rum were good also. I picked vodka because I liked this bottle, I know right? I also needed some to make pasta sauce. So that's why some of this is missing out of the bottle.
I think I'll modge podge something on the bottle, a label. But I'm not sure yet.
Other than the waiting 4-6 weeks to use this stuff, it's really easy to make. 



Vanilla Extract
Vanilla beans (2 per cup of alcohol)
Vodka, rum or bourbon
Clean hands, knife, cutting board :)

Split the vanilla beans by running the tip of a knife down the center of the whole bean.  Place the vanilla in a clean bottle. Add alcohol to cover. Close tightly. Give it a shake. Store in a cool dry place. Shake it up every week or so.
It will be ready for use in 4-6 weeks, or when you open the bottle and smell sweet vanilla and not alcohol.
That's it, once you are able to use it and it gets low just add more alcohol. Adding a vanilla bean every so often.
My vanilla beans aren't submerged so I just tilted the bottle in storage. If I remember in a couple of months or so I'll get a picture to show you how dark it's gotten.
UPDATE- This is some of the best vanilla I've used, as far as extracts go! I love it. I recently got a bigger ol bottle of Vodka and threw some beans in there so I'll have back up. I'm going to make a bourbon one for holiday candies also.  I'll still buy vanilla paste and beans of course. I love my vanilla.

What do you make with vanilla? How about some of these?




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.