Thursday, August 25, 2011

Challah- Bread Machine

I adapted this recipe from HERE. I use my bread maker/bread machine for the dough. I tweaked the recipe a little bit. I add vanilla if I am going to make french toast. I know it's not traditional, neither is the wheat gluten. Spices can be added to the dough. Cinnamon sugar can be swirled into the braid.
This bread is perfect for grilled cheese, french toast, toasted, not toasted, with Sunbutter and jelly... it's just good.




Challah
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 cups bread flour (15 oz)
1/4 cup white sugar (about 2 oz)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten (5/8 oz)
1 teaspoon vanilla- optional

For egg wash
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
Warm the milk in the microwave until warm. Stir in butter, and eggs. Whisk and pour into the bread machine, it should be lukewarm. Add remaining ingredients and select dough cycle.
Once the cycle is complete divide the dough into thirds. Roll each piece into 12-14 inch ropes. I rolled them out separately and then took all three together and stretched gently to make them equal.  Braid the pieces into a loaf. Pinch ends and tuck them under the loaf. Place the loaf on a greased baking sheet. Place a floured kitchen towel over the top of the loaf and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours.
Bake at 350 degrees for 18-25 minutes, if the loaf is getting too dark place a piece of foil over the top of it. Don't seal the foil around the Challah, you'll steam it!
Let it cool on a baking rack.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.