Monday, September 21, 2009

Caramel Swirl Cinnamon Bun Ice Cream

This is a basic ice cream custard base. I just replaced the sweetener with Palm Sugar.
I added a swirl of thick caramel and chunks of Cinnamon Roll.
I'm back... are you wondering if it was good? I didn't say did I?
Well, it's got heavy cream... caramel... cinnamon roll chunks.. yeah I would say it was good. DH did say there was too many cinnamon roll chunks... I agreed. I knew there would be too many as I stirred them in. But I had already prepared them so I had to use them...



Cinnamon Swirl Cinnamon Bun Ice Cream

Custard Base
3 cups GOOD heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar or honey (I never use this much and I use evaporated cane juice)
4 egg yolks -beaten
**add vanilla and a pinch of salt**

Heat the milk, cream and sweetener until steaming. Temper in the beaten egg yolks and cook stirring with a wooden spoon until thick and the custard coats the back of your spoon. Cool. When ready to place in your ice cream maker pour this through a strainer to remove any lumps.
Once the custard is done freezing in the ice cream maker stir in the caramel and cinnamon roll chunks.

Caramel swirl-
I cheated and used caramels from the store. I had the girls unwrap 30 of them. In the middle of all that Diva asked me why we couldn't just cut up the caramels and throw them in, instead of making a sauce. Smart girl, but I wanted them a little soft. So I heated the caramels up with some vanilla, and about 1/4 cup of heavy cream until it was melted. Then I stirred in a teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Set it aside and let it cool

Chop up the cinnamon roll/s and put them on a plate and microwave them for about 60 seconds. You want them a little dry. Freeze them on a cookie sheet before you stir them into the ice cream
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.