Thursday, May 20, 2010

Buttermilk Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream


I made some cheesecake for Cherry Cheesecake bombs and I had some filling leftover.  I decided to make this AMAZING ice cream. I decided to use a buttermilk base and it was perfect the tang from the buttermilk with the cheesecake bites- PERFECT. I'm really enjoying being "back" in the kitchen lately and experimenting and coming up with fun things to try. 

Give Peas A Chance Cherry Cheesecake Bombs

1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla paste/1vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla
7 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar, I used Vanilla Bean Specialty Sugar - you can use a cup, I just don't prefer things overly sweet
2 cups buttermilk
Maraschino cherries roughly chopped (with some juice reserved)
Graham cracker pieces- I gave the girls the option of graham crackers or Oreo cookies. They chose graham- I'm glad

  1. Freeze the cherries and cheesecake in a single layer in a pan lined with wax paper. You can scoop  teaspoonfuls of cheesecake onto wax paper to make chunks.
  2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
  3. In a heavy bottom sauce pan stir the vanilla into the heavy cream. Bring it to a simmer.
  4. Temper the cream and yolk mixture. I can't stress this enough. Be patient unless you want scrambled eggs. To temper add a little bit of cream to the yolk mixture and stir it. Add a little more and repeat to bring the yolks up to temperature and then add all the yolk mixture to the cream.
  5. I put some cherry juice into the buttermilk. Stir it up and add it to the cream mixture. 
  6. Transfer to a container and cool in the refrigerator.
  7. Follow the instructions for your ice cream/gellato maker. Right before you turn off your machine stir in the cherries, cheesecake, and graham crackers.
  8. Transfer it all to a container and finish freezing it.
  9. Can it get any easier?
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, lovely. Thanks for linking this in Katherine. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.