Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

First of all let me apologize for these pictures. I'm using my point and shoot and well, it's a wonderful camera but for someone who has no talent anyway it's just frustrating. Bread Pudding however rocks. It's easy, versatile and what's not to love about custard and bread.  I have a standard recipe, but  I add eggs or cream, milk etc as needed.
Here are some ways to customize and make this your own
Bread- Italian, French, Hawaiian sweet bread, brioche, croissants, whole grain,  chocolate swirled bread, even store bought white bread.
Sweetener- I've used white sugar, brown sugar, cane juice, maple syrup, a little molasses.
Flavoring- this is obviously pumpkin, but any spices, green tea/matcha powder, sliced apples pan fried with cinnamon and butter, chocolate (cocoa powder), chocolate chips, cranberries, almonds and almond extract with cherries, rum, Irish cream, Nutella, crystallized ginger. Sky's the limit really. (raisins, for those of you who like raisins.)
Liquid- I use whole milk and cream. Sometimes I use half egg nog and half whole milk during the holidays. I have used 2% in a pinch.
Toppings- anything you want sugar, cinnamon sugar, caramel sauce, whipped cream, Bird's custard, ice cream.

Give Peas A Chance Bread Pudding

1 pound day old bread- cubed or sliced, lightly toasted if it's a very soft bread.
5 eggs
1 1/4 cup whole milk
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon brown sugar/cinnamon to top

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

add 1 cup pumpkin
nutmeg
ginger
all spice
cinnamon


Put everything but the brown sugar topping and bread in a large bowl.


Whisk to combine.





Add the bread to the bowl and weigh it down with a plate on top of the bread and a canned good on top of the plate for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Top with brown sugar.
Pour mixture into a buttered baking dish. Mine is about 9x13 but it's oval.
You can bake this in a bain-marie. Depending on how lazy I am I sometimes used one. Tonight I did not. If you're using one find a baking dish, put the bread pudding dish into it. Place both dishes into the oven and carefully pour water into the outer dish about half way up the side of the smaller dish.


Being mindful of ingredients you used - ie pumpkin, chocolate or molasses will make this darker, so don't judge cooking time only by color. Bake about 40-50 minutes until golden brown. Or test with toothpick inserted into the middle, when it comes out clean the bread pudding is ready.
Remove from oven and water bath. Let it sit for 15 minutes before serving.


Yummy, custardy. Diva told me it was nice and chewy on top and "moisturizing" on the inside. LOL. I think that's good.

You can serve it just like this. (Which is how my girls had theirs.)



OR, I melted some Love Abounds Fleur De Sel Caramels and poured it on top of mine. Then.


I topped it with fresh vanilla bean whipped cream. Just vanilla bean and whipped cream. I don't sweetened my whipped cream.
Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing!
    I am now following along!
    Rebecca
    www.heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. New fan here from DIY Dreamer. This looks delish! I would love for you to come share at my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/11/farm-girl-blog-fest-7.html

    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gosh I would love some right now!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! I can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Carole's Chatter~ This sounds heavenly and something I will definitely love:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.