Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mexican Rice

  I can't make rice on the stove top to save my life. Unless it's Kow Neow, congee, or boil in the bag rice. It's sad but it's true. Oh risotto, I can do that too but that's only because you stand there watching and stirring. But steaming rice on the stove top it is either dry and burnt on the bottom or wet. So this rice is made in a rice cooker. You can do it on the stove top too, I just can't :).
It's tasty, easy to do and doesn't take a lot of hands on time at all. With a squeeze of lime and some cilantro it's great as a side dish. I've put it in burritos and leftovers are perfect to stir into a Vegetable soup or a Firecracker Chicken Tortilla soup. You can grill it too.
Stock or broth can be used in place of the Better than Bouillon. Bell peppers or jalapenos can be added also.


2 cups rice
3 tbs butter
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced/grated
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1-2 teaspoons of Mexican/Taco seasoning, salt free recipe here
 2-3/4 to 3 cups of hot water
1 tablespoon of Better than Bouillon (Beef, chicken, or vegetable.)
14.5 ounce tomatoes fire roasted, drained  (I used a no salt added)
salt and pepper

Garnishes-
Lime wedges
Cilantro

Stir the Better than Bouillon into the water. Set aside.
Heat butter until foaming in a pan or dutch oven. Add onion and garlic. Saute until tender. Add seasonings and rice. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Transfer rice mixture to the rice cooker. Cook on the regular rice cooker setting. Or follow the instructions for your rice cooker to cook white rice.
When done, fluff rice with a rice paddle. Serve with garnishes.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.