Sunday, May 11, 2008

Kow Neow or Khao Neow

Sticky rice, or "sweet" or glutenous rice or Kao Neow is a shorter rice than the long grains of jasmine rice. Sticky rice is traditionally soaked overnight and steamed, not boiled. When long grain rice is cooked, it turns from opaque to white; when sticky rice is cooked, it turns from white to translucent.




Soak the rice in the morning in cold water, or the night before.







It's best to use a rice steamer like this, but my mom has shown many of my friends how to make it in a metal steamer basket also.









Add water to the bottom part of the steamer. Place the rice into the basket part and rinse with cold water until it runs fairly clear.






Cover the top with a lid.










Steam for about 30 minutes? I 't timed it. Until it gets translucent and the grains stick to each other.






Once the grains stick together, lift the basket off the pot and flip the rice over to cook the other side.
Steam it uncovered for 5-10 minutes more.






Then remove the basket from the pot and stir with a wooden spoon to let some steam escape. Much like cooling sushi rice, but you don't have to do it for long.






Put it in your rice holder until ready to serve.
If I have leftovers I put it in a covered container and re steam before serving. It gets hard in the refrigerator.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.