Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chicharrón (In the oven)


I admit I was skeptical about making these in the oven but honestly, so easy! Here is how you make them on the stove LINK. Just like bacon in the oven, these are pretty fuss free, LINK
Some people will trim the meat from the pork belly and some of the fat, then boil in salted water for 30 minutes. I've never done that, but it's worth a shot to boil some of the fat off and salt in the process.
*you can save the fat renderings, strain them and keep them in the fridge- LARD!
To make Chicharrón in the oven take a piece of pork belly, trim most of the meat off of it. That sounds odd but if you don't it will just burn in the oven. Place the pieces of pork belly on a foil lined baking sheet, foil optional, it just helps with clean up. Place the pork in the oven and turn the oven on to 350. Cook until the fat renders and the skin is crisp. I didn't time this. I did turn these once. Remove from the oven and place the pork rinds onto paper towels to absorb excess fat. Sprinkle with salt while hot.
 So good on top of red chili enchiladas with a fried egg on top for breakfast.
Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on

 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.