Monday, November 26, 2007

Peppermint ice cream...

Sadly I did not get a picture of just the ice cream, but as you can see by the look on Piglet's face it was not only yummy but it had morsels of green and red peppermints that flecked the creamy custard base. DH actually was the one who made this, using the regular custard base.

Regular custard base

3 cups GOOD heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar or honey (I never use this much and I use evaporated cane juice)
4 egg yolks -beaten

Heat the cream, milk and sugar in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, stir until sugar is dissolved and occasionally after that. Once the mixture is steaming temper the beaten egg yolks and add to the rest of the custard, whisking. Cook over medium heat and stir constantly until it coats the back of a wooden spoon. Do not let this boil or it WILL curdle! Pour into a container and let cool completely.

To this base add 2 tsp of peppermint extract. Cool as directed. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to your manufacturers instructions. Add chopped pieces of peppermint candies once the custard is a soft serve consistency. Freeze in deep freeze until set.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.