Saturday, September 19, 2009

GPAC Pumpkin Whoppie Pies (Made with Palm Sugar)


Yes, more pumpkin. Yummy pumpkin. I just made a huge batch of pumpkin puree and put some in the freezer. So of course I had to make some of these!
I made these with palm sugar, so they were less sweet, and I used less sugar on top of that. They were still plenty good with the filling. I spread some pumpkin puree on some of them also, because I haven't made pumpkin butter yet this year... so good.
If I were to make these without the filling I would use more palm sugar. Palm sugar just isn't as sweet as cane sugar. But it's got a lower glycemic index. (I put a chart at the bottom of this post so you can see where it "ranks")





GPAC Pumpkin Whoppie Pies

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
cinnamon
ground ginger
nutmeg
salt
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1 cup palm sugar (the original recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar)
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla
** next time I will use less baking powder and more baking soda, these were too puffy for me**
Filling-
4 oz room temperature cream cheese
5 tablespoons soft UNSALTED butter
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Optional- pumpkin pie spice


Palm sugar... mine comes in little cakes so I finely FINELY chopped it. Like this picture? Chopping up sugar for whoopie pies as I eat a cinnamon roll? I won't deny it, I have no shame. :-) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


Ta-Da!




Cream the butter and sugar.




Beat in the pumpkin puree.




Oh, add some vanilla too.




Add the sifted dry ingredients.
Mix well.

Because these have to match up with each other I wanted them to be as close to the same size and shape as possible. I used a cookie scoop that I leveled off each time to scoop the dough. They were too puffy for my liking...

So the next batch I scooped up got a little help. I flatted them gently with my fingertips. (Wet your fingertips a bit first so the dough doesn't stick) Next time I will use less baking powder and more baking soda.
Bake the cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet or a greased one and bake for 10-13 minutes. Mine took 10 minutes. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for about 3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Mix the ingredients for the filling. Add the maple syrup a little at a time until you get a good spreadable consistency.
Spread on to a cooled cookie and top with another.



GPAC Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
cinnamon
ground ginger
nutmeg
salt
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1 cup granulated palm sugar (the original recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar)
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla
** next time I will use less baking powder and more baking soda, these were too puffy for me**
Filling-
4 oz room temperature cream cheese
5 tablespoons soft UNSALTED butter
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Optional- pumpkin pie spice

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in pumpkin puree and vanilla.
  3. Add the sifted dry ingredients and mix well.
  4. Use a cookie scoop to ensure that the cookies are the same size. Scoop them onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Flatten gently with wet fingertips.
  5. Bake the cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet or a greased one and bake for 10-13 minutes. 
  6. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for about 3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
  7. Mix the ingredients for the filling. Add the maple syrup a little at a time until you get a good spreadable consistency.
  8. Spread on to a cooled cookie and top with another.



SUGARS
Organic Agave Nectar 27
Fructose 32
Lactose 65
Honey 83
High fructose corn syrup 89
Sucrose 92
Glucose 137
Glucose tablets 146
Maltodextrin 150
Maltose 150
Coconut Palm Sugar 35



Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

1 comment:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.