Saturday, March 15, 2008

Amish White Bread

Amish White Bread loaves before being brushed with butter.

I'm a newbie baker, I'm not that great. I'm just learning really. So when I saw this recipe on Allrecipes. I thought I would give it a shot. It's a pretty easy recipe and yields delicious bread. It makes two loaves, too many for us to eat just as is so one loaf I can make croĆ»tons with for Chicken Cesar salad. I served this batch with Roasted chicken and scalloped potatoes. 
It's a nice tender bread, it has some bite so it's not fluffy. I used less sugar than called for so it wasn't too sweet for us, about 1/2-1/3 cups. A great white bread, also great for toasting.
This bread, like I mentioned is easy to make. It can be made completely by hand, with a stand mixer to knead, or use a bread machine on the dough cycle. If using a bread machine, after the dough cycle is complete, finish the bread as directed.
For rolls shape the dough into the cups of a muffin tin. If you use the whole amount of sugar this dough can be used for cinnamon rolls.
This is how the dough looks before the kneading, it's a little shaggy, not too wet.

Before kneading the dough looks a little "shaggy".
After kneading the dough should be smooth and springy, if that makes sense.


Amish White Bread dough.
The dough in a well oiled bowl, ready for the first rise.

Place the dough in a well oiled bowl for the first rise.
After the dough doubles in size, punch it down and knead again before forming into loaf pans.

Read for more kneading and the loaf pans.
It is okay if the dough doesn't fill the loaf pans. It will rise again.

The dough after the second kneading, ready for another rising.
Perfect fit after that second rise!

Ready for the oven!
This picture is from my No Knead Rolls post, but this dough can be formed to make similar dinner rolls.

Amish White Bread

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar- I use less!
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6-7 cups bread flour, or all purpose
  • 3-4 tablespoons melted butter



  1. Dissolve the sugar in the water in your mixing bowl. Add the yeast. Stir it a bit.
  2. Let it proof or get foamy. About 10 minutes.
  3. Add your salt and oil to the yeast.
  4. Add flour one cup at a time and mix until the dough starts coming together.
  5. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl, if using a stand mixer.
  6. If using a stand mixer, attach the dough hook to knead the dough, or knead by hand on a floured surface. Until smooth.
  7. Place the dough into a oiled bowl and turn once to coat.
  8. Cover with a damp towel, warm is useful if it's cold. Let it rise for an hour, or... until doubled in size.
  9. Punch it down and knead it again for a few minutes.
  10. Divide the dough and place in oiled pans. 
  11. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
  12. Bake at 350 degrees, the recipe said 30 minutes I took mine out at 25, tested it by tapping on it and it was done.
  13. Brush with melted butter, remove from pans and cool completely on racks before slicing.

You can also use a bread machine to mix, knead, and for the first rising of your dough. Proof the yeast first. Then continue with steps 9-13.
For a shiny dough, you can brush the loaves with an egg wash before baking.



Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.