Saturday, March 15, 2008

Roasted Chicken

No real recipe here, just a roasted chicken. It's a small one since there is only three of us, I didn't want to take out a huge roasting pan for a little bird, so I used a deep dish pie pan, worked great. I also didn't have a rack that would fit in the pie pan so I used whole veggies, in the end that was pointless to prop the chicken up I added lots of liquid when I basted anyway. I used whatever I had on hand, we are in operation clean out the freezer and I have been avoiding the grocery store until the veggies in the fridge are gone also. I served this with Amish white bread and scalloped potatoes.
1 Chicken- rinsed with cold water, and pat dry
Vegetables of your choice- carrots, celery, onions, garlic, Brussel sprouts, fennel... whatever
2 tablespoons butter
Seasonings- whatever you want, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, use what you like
1 cup chicken broth to baste if you want
Stuff to stuff- (your chicken with) fresh sage, half a lemon, garlic, onion, rosemary, veggies, whatever you like


I lined my pan with veggies to keep the chicken off the liquid, again pointless since i basted with so much, but we like the juices as a gravy.







Get your seasonings ready.







I rubbed butter under the skin (and broke the skin on the breast), inside the chicken and on the outside of the skin also. Then I seasoned the chicken inside, under the skin and outside the skin.






All I had was sage, I was too lazy to cut up onions and garlic so our bird was stuffed with sage.






Fold the wings under so the tips don't burn and tie the legs. I am no professional as long as it looks like my chicken is modest, I put it in the oven.
I roasted it at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes a pound. If you have a WORKING (GRRR) meat thermometer, use it. I basted it occasionally. Then in the end i turned it up to 375 and let it go for about 15 minutes.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.