Thursday, June 1, 2017

BLT Salad With Whole Grain Mustard Vinaigrette



I love when the weather gets warmer, I tend to crave crisp lettuce greens and fresh vegetables more. I call it salad weather. I'll eat salads in the winter, I just crave them less when it's cold out. This BLT salad is simple and the vinaigrette can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator.  The whole salad is a great for meal prep, keep all the vegetables washed and ready, the bacon can be made ahead of time, the steak is optional but it can also be made ahead.

 Fresh crisp greens, salty crunchy bacon, the burst of sweet cherry tomatoes, and a spicy tart vinaigrette. This salad is one of my favorites. I added this steak so it that the salad can be had a meal that fits into the suggested Whole 30 meal template. It's delicious without the steak also. I hope you'll try it! Use the Vinaigrette as a marinade too, it's wonderful!



Click to find more Whole 30
recipes here on Give Peas A Chance, or use the search function. 

BLT Salad With Whole Grain Mustard Vinaigrette 

Makes about 6 servings

Salad greens 
Sliced red onion
Cherry tomatoes
Bacon, save cooking grease for the dressing
Steak, sliced (optional)
Whole Grain Mustard Vinaigrette  (recipe follows)
  1. Season bacon with fresh cracked pepper.
  2. Cook bacon until crisp, reserving some of the grease for the dressing.
  3. Cut bacon into bite sized pieces.
  4. Toss salad ingredients together with half of the vinaigrette. Taste and add more vinaigrette or salt and pepper as needed.
  5. Toss and serve.

Whole Grain Mustard Vinaigrette :

1/4 cup red wine vinegar, or other vinegar 
1 tablespoon coconut amnios for sweetness, OPTIONAL
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup avocado oil or other neutral flavored oil
3 tablespoons bacon grease, melted (OPTIONAL, you can also use more oil)
3-4 tablespoons whole grain mustard
salt
pepper
*If you need to cut the tartness a bit, a squeeze of orange juice will help, if you okay with added sugar a little honey, sugar, or syrup is great.
  1. Use a blender or immersion blender to blend the vinegar, coconut amnios, onion powder, and garlic clove.
  2. Slowly drizzle in the oil and bacon grease to incorporate into the vinegar while the blender is running. The oil and bacon grease need to be fully emulsified so that the dressing isn't oily.
  3. Stir in mustard, salt, pepper to taste. This dressing tastes better if left in the refrigerator overnight.
Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on

 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.