Friday, October 2, 2015

Roasted Pumpkin Soup

Roasted Pumpkin Soup
Hello everyone! I know I'm posting fifty billion pumpkin recipes (or it seems like it to me), but I love pumpkin so here I am embracing the season. Creamy, flavorful, warm, quick to make for a weeknight meal. Serve it with salad, turkey sandwiches, or a brie and cranberry grilled cheese.
This soup is easy to make, the pumpkin can be roasted ahead of time to use later in the week. In a pinch you can use canned pumpkin too, but pie/sugar pumpkins are in season so I'd take advantage of that!
Get your kids in the kitchen they can chop vegetables, stir the soup, and pull the seeds out of the pumpkin save them for roasting!
Hope you all are enjoying pumpkin season!

If using pumpkin puree here are a few methods:

Give Peas A Chance Roasted Pumpkin Soup

Butter or avocado oil (your favorite vegetable oil)
1/2- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 chopped onion
2 stalks of celery chopped
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt
Pepper
4-5 cups Pumpkin, roasted recipe follows
5- 6 cups unsalted or low salt chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup evaporated milk

Garnishes

Roasted pumpkin seeds
Sour cream
Heavy cream
Nutmeg

Roasted Pumpkin

1 medium pie pumpkin peeled, seeded, and cubed in 1-2 inch cubes
3 tablespoons avocado oil (any vegetable oil you like)
2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
salt
pepper

Roast the pumpkin (This step can be done 2-3 days and kept in the refrigerator):

  1. Toss ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Spread out onto two rimmed baking sheets
  3. Roast in a preheated 450 degree oven until tender. About 30-35 minutes. 
Let's make soup:

  1. Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven.
  2. Add red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, and celery.
  3. Cook vegetables until tender, add thyme, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and pepper to the pot. (if using canned pumpkin add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup also)
  4. Cook for a couple minutes until fragrant.
  5. Add pumpkin and stock to the pot, bring to a boil.
  6. Simmer for 15 minutes.
  7. In batches carefully puree the soup, or use an immersion blender.
  8. Return the soup to the pot and stir in evaporated milk.
  9. Serve with garnishes.

* Pumpkin puree can be substituted for roasted pumpkin. I don't have a cup for cup measurement as all pumpkins yield a different amount of puree.
* Sometimes I add a little turmeric for flavor and color

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.