Saturday, May 10, 2008

Egg Rolls

Yummy! I rarely make egg rolls because they have to be deep fried, I know people bake them also but it's not the same. The girls really enjoyed these. They are also good cut up and used to top a vermicelli salad. So crisp and flavorful.



Measurements are all approximate.

Ground Pork (1 1/2 pounds)
Shrimp
Bean thread/cellophane noodles (1 1/2 small bundles)
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Oyster sauce
Black pepper
2 carrots
1/3 medium onion
Egg roll wrappers
Oil for frying


Soak cellophane noodles in warm water until they are pliable. Then drain and cut to make them a little shorter. I just ripped them in half.









Grate the carrots and dice the onion, place them in to a large bowl, add the pork.







Season with oyster sauce, garlic and onion powder.












And black pepper.






Add two eggs.









I used shrimp because I had it and it needed to be used, usually I don't add shrimp.
But these were cooked and peeled and I could only eat so much shrimp cocktail.








Chop the shrimp and add it to the bowl.






Add the cellophane noodles.








Mix it all up, by hand is easiest.










There are so many ways to wrap an egg roll, just make sure it's fairly tight and they are about the same size for even cooking.
I put the filling on the middle bottom of the wrapper...








And start from the bottom and roll up once.







Then I tuck the sides in.










And keep rolling up. You can either use an egg wash to brush the ends or water to help seal the egg roll.







All done!











Fry them in hot oil until golden brown and they are cooked through.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. You're right---there is nothing the same as a deep-fried egg roll...but ya know what is really yum? throw them on the GRILL! YUM!!! not the SAME, but it's a whole NEW yum :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.