Monday, June 27, 2011

PlanetBox Review and Lunches 90-92

PlanetBox set (Picture from Planetbox.com)

Have you seen or heard of PlanetBox? I've been drooling over them them for a while now. They are cute lunch boxes that reduce waste, are eco friendly and non toxic. AND dishwasher safe! Made of stainless steel, the boxes have fun magnets so kids can customize their boxes. This is an awesome idea because replacing magnets produces so much less waste then getting a whole new box. If you're crafty you can design and make your own magnets!
PlanetBox is a small company. Robert and Caroline Miros, a husband and wife team dreamed up this little gem of a product. They have wonderful customer service and fast shipping. Caroline and I emailed back and forth, she got my preference for magnet style and shipped the next day. They shipped our planet box and accessories priority mail. This is what I love about small companies. The service is personal, pleasant and the people are attentive. PlanetBox also considers the earth in so much of what they do, from a eco friendly product to choosing a shipping method. Read more about it under the FAQ.
We've had our PlanetBox for a little over a week now. I wanted to get some good use out of it before I wrote this review. The first thing I noticed about the box is that it's not flimsy. It's very sturdy and solid. I set it down and made sure all of my girls could get it open, including Pixie who turns three this summer. They could all open the box fine. The Big and Little Dippers were also easy for each of the girls to open. I still open them for Pixie though because while it's easy to open, she has a tendency to spill things. The PlanetBox has plenty of room for different foods. I personally don't like foods mixing and touching (neither does Diva) so the different compartments are perfect. What I love about the compartments is that they aren't too deep. It's harder for me to pack foods into a container when it's too deep. I don't like things to shift around too much- the whole mixing and touching thing. Here is what PlanetBox says about sizing
PlanetBox is lighter than it looks. It weighs 19 oz – less than most Harry Potter books! It measures 10 inches x 7.5 inches x 1.5 inches, making it smaller than a typical 3 ring binder. The approximate dimensions of the inside compartments are as follows, in inches: main: 4x4x1.5, long: 6x1.5x1.5, veggie: 2x3.5x1.5, fruit: 4x2x1.5, treat: 1.5x1.5x.5. The Big Dipper has a 4 inch diameter and is 1.5 inches high, and holds a volume of about 1 cup of food. The little dipper has a 2 inch diameter and is 1.5 inches high, and holds a volume of about 1/3 cups of food.
The compartments themselves are not water tight. The Little and Big Dippers do have a silicone seal that is water tight and can be removed easily for washing. Did I mention, DISHWASHER SAFE? YAY! Also a little bit of Glad Press and Seal can be put over a compartment section to keep wet foods from leaking works also.
The magnets as I mentioned before are a wonderful way for children to "personalize" their boxes and if they want something new, they can just change out the magnets. With 11 different sets of magnets there is something for everyone! Saving the box a trip to the landfill or recycle bin. These boxes are recyclable, you can even send it back to PlanetBox and they will make sure it gets recycled for you. THAT is smart.
The carry bag for the PlanetBox is washable/submersible in water and independently tested for safety. A Kleen Kanteen or SIGG bottle fits perfectly in the drink compartment. To keep food cool I have a flexible ice blanket that slides right into the mesh portion of the carry bag. 

For more on Planetbox visit them on Facebook HERE or on their main site HERE. Stop by and let them know you saw the review!

Here are some lunches I've packed in our PlanetBox
 From the left corner clock wise
Blueberries with a Little Dipper for dressing
Napkin and fork :)
 Pizza
Bell peppers 
Chocolate chips in the middle container. How cute is that little compartment for a treat? 

 Again from the upper left corner
Green beans
One pot cheesy beefy noodles - recipe coming soon!
Banana
Stickers in the treat compartment

Jasmine rice
Cheery Cherry Cola brownie and strawberries
(I discovered that Pixie- who ate this whole dinner LOVES Chinese Water Spinach and lettuce to wrap her Larb in. Awesome.)




Disclaimer: I was provided a free sample/s of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose.  Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product. All pictures are from the companies site, unless noted. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.