Thursday, November 24, 2016

Lao Steamed Egg with Minced Pork

Lao Steamed Egg Instant Pot method.

 This is another one of those dishes that I grew up with that I love to eat but just never blogged. I don't have a ton of Lao recipes on this blog because... well because they are dishes that I just make. I never sat down to take measurements of them. I didn't grow up with measurements while cooking them, Neither did my mom. I realize that these may be the recipes the kids want someday. So I'm trying to get through them and post some as much as I can. This dish makes me think of my childhood. I hope you'll try it.
This was steamed in a 8 inch pan.
My mom would make this in a steamer on the stove. I have included instructions for stove top steaming and pressure cooking. I use an Instant Pot. I am sure you can use another pressure cooker though.



 I included a picture of the packaging for these glass noodles below. They are the same noodles that I use in Lao Egg Rolls. Just soak them in some warm or hot tap water, they soften in no time. They will not be tender like pasta, but they will be pliable. They cook during the steaming. 


See? The noodles are pliable and aren't in a big dry nest. They get soft and are easy to mix into the eggs. To cut them I just used my kitchen shears to cut through the whole "nest" a few times, once they were pliable enough.
If you want a meat free dish, leave the pork out. Crumbled tofu can be added also.


I used an eight inch pan in this picture. I like a thicker, "higher" steamed egg. You can see the foil sling under the pan. I prefer using my seven inch flan pain, without lid, for height and there's no need for a foil sling. Like the picture below.




This takes 15 minutes to cook on high pressure. As with anything in the Instant Pot, this doesn't include the time it takes for the pot to come to pressure. So if you want to eat dinner in an hour, I would put this in the Instant Pot 30 minutes before. If anything it can stay warm and wait for you, instead of you waiting for it!




Lao Steamed Egg with Minced Pork (Neung Khai)

Marinate the pork:
2/3 cup minced pork, 4- 3/4 ounces, 146 grams
1 teaspoon soy sauce, 3 grams, 5 ml
1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine (optional)

Egg mixture:
8 eggs, 14 ounces, 399 grams
1/4 cup water, 1-1/4 ounces, 44 grams
1/2 bundle of bean thread noodles (about 1.5 ounces, 40 grams)
1 tablespoon spring onions, chopped
3 teaspoons soy sauce, 9 grams, 15 ml
Finely ground pepper

Garnish:
Sesame oil
Chopped cilantro
Chopped green onion
Sliced Thai Bird Chilies

1 cup water, trivet, sling
6-7 inch cake pan, or a oven safe bowl*


  1. Place noodles into a bowl of warm or hot tap water so they become pliable.
  2. Mix minced pork, soy sauce, and cooking wine in a small bowl.
  3. Drain and cut the noodles into smaller sections about 2 inches. Doesn't have to be exact.
  4. In a separate bowl whisk the ingredients for the egg mixture together.
  5. Whisk in minced pork.
  6. Lightly grease the cake pan or bowl.
  7. Pour egg mixture into the cake pan.
  8. Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot liner, and place the trivet in the liner.
  9. Place the egg pan on top top of the trivet, use a sling if needed to easily remove the pan.
  10. In the Instant Pot cook on HIGH/MORE PRESSURE for 15 minutes.
  11. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before fully releasing remaining steam in the pot by opening the vent.
  12. Check to see if the eggs are set buy inserting a knife in the middle of the pan. The knife should come out clean, though the eggs will still be a bit wiggly.
  13. Serve with a drizzle of sesame oil, and garnishes.
* To cook this on the stove top, place water in the pot. Put a steamer insert or trivet in the pot. Bring the water to a boil. Place the mixture onto the trivet. Cover the pot with a lid. Steam the egg mixture for 30 minutes or until done.
* Re hydrated black fungus/wood ear/cloud ear mushrooms, sliced into strips can also be added to the egg mixture before steaming.
* If you like carrots, grated carrots add texture, color and a touch of sweetness. Whisk in with the egg mixture.
*Growing up my mom used a bowl that she just set in the steamer, it worked great. In the pictures I used an 8 inch pan and a 7 inch pan. I like the egg to be a thicker and find that a 7 inch pan works best for our family.
*If you want a meat free dish, leave the pork out. Crumbled tofu can be added also.


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.