![]() |
| Give Peas A Chance Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes |
MMMMM cheeeeessssyyyyyyyy. I only recently started liking potatoes in my adulthood. I'm not sure if that's because of all the butter and cheese I put on them, or if I really actually like potatoes. Whatever the case, these Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are so dreamy. This recipe is a MILLION times better than this sad recipe here. Thin tender slices of potatoes, creamy roux with melty cheese/s. What's not to love?
![]() |
| Slice those potatoes thin! |
This dish comes together pretty easily; if you have older kids (9+), they can pretty much do this all on their own. IF you have a safe mandoline, ours is pretty safe. I still stand over my kids and watch them like a hawk when they use it, though. You can also slice the potatoes with a very sharp knife; in that case, you may want to have the kids help you with something else.
My favorite potatoes are Yukon Golds, I'll use those for most dishes that call for potatoes. I do like red potatoes in soups, though.
![]() |
| What's not to love about a creamy roux with cheese in it? Can I bathe in this? |
I used cheddar cheese in the dish pictured, but just about any cheese that is melty good will work. A dry jack won't because they don't melt well; a brie cheese is too soft. Pepper jack would be yummy. You get the point.
![]() |
| Hot bubbling Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes. |
I served this dish at Easter with Rotisserie Lamb, Ham, and Roasted broccoli. These potatoes could be a meal on their own; if you put chopped ham in it, it would be a hearty meal.
![]() |
| Easter dinner: lamb, cheesy scalloped potatoes, Roasted broccoli. |
![]() |
| Rotisserie Lamb, in a Capital Oven. |
![]() |
| We also had ham. |
So, grab your favorite cheese/s and let's make this yummy goodness.
Soon you'll have this yummy bubbling, cheesy goodness in your tummy. It will not disappoint.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled (optional), and sliced paper-thin3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup Cheddar, Colby Jack, or Gruyere cheese, grated
1/2 cup Cheddar, Colby Jack, or Gruyere cheese, grated
- Heat butter in a saucepan; once melted, add garlic. Cook until fragrant, but do not brown.
- Add flour to butter and whisk until smooth; add butter or flour as needed.
- Cook until the flour doesn't smell raw.
- Whisk in ground mustard, cayenne, salt, and pepper
- Whisk in milk; cook until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in heavy cream and remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 cup grated cheese.
- In a lightly greased baking dish, ladle a little bit of the cheese mixture on the bottom, just to coat.
- Add a thin layer of potato.
- Top with a layer of cheese sauce.
- Repeat layers ending with cheese sauce. (How many layers depends on how much surface area your baking dish has.)
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350*F oven for 45 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Uncover, top with 1/2 cup cheese, and bake uncovered until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are tender.
That's it! Pretty easy for such a yummy dish. Do you like potatoes? What's your favorite way to eat them?








No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.