Thursday, February 25, 2016

Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes

Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes
Pancakes. Yum. Who doesn't love a stack of pancakes on a lazy morning? I don't often make pancakes on the weekdays, because I love sleep. Not that these are hard to make, I just love sleep. So we usually have pancakes on the weekend. The batter comes together quickly and the Greek Yogurt gives these pancakes a bit of a tart flavor, not a lot at all. For this reason I paired it with whole wheat flour. I think the whole wheat flour can stand up to a bit of zing and the texture from the yogurt is a tiny bit custardy. Which is perfect. I hope I explained that right. You should make these so you can see what I mean.
I served the pancakes above with butter, pumpkin pie syrup, and pumpkin seeds. But the sky's the limit here, top these however you want!

Why the scale? I've said it before- not only is cooking with a scale more accurate, it's awesome because you use less dishes. One bowl on top of the scale, just pour ingredients in. No measuring cups to wash.

Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes

2.5 ounces all purpose flour (7  tablespoons)
2.5 ounces whole wheat flour (7 tablespoons)
1.5 ounces granulated sugar (3 tablespoons- adjust if not using plain unsweetened yogurt)
3.8 ounce baking soda (2 teaspoons)
3/4 teaspoon salt
16 ounces plain, vanilla, or honey Greek yogurt (2 cups)
4 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  1. In a medium sized bowl combine the dry ingredients.
  2. Stir Greek yogurt into the flour mixture, just until combined.
  3. Gently stir in beaten eggs and vanilla, do not over mix.
  4. Heat a griddle or nonstick pan on medium to medium high heat (I use my crepe pan).
  5. Brush a little butter on the surface of the pan.
  6. Drop pancake batter onto the pan into desired size cakes, or shapes.
  7. Once bubbles form on the tops/sides of the batter, flip the pancakes and cook them on the other side.

* These pancakes will look a little darker than most pancakes because of the whole wheat flour when cooked.
* All Purpose flour can be used if whole wheat is not desired or unavailable.
*Flavored yogurts can be used, just adjust sweetener to taste
* Mix ins such as berries, chocolate chips, or nuts can be used
*Sour cream can be substituted for Greek yogurt
* Honey can be used in place of the sugar

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.