Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pumpkin Spice and Chai Syrup

I saw this on Pinterest. Most of the recipes are standard- one part water, one part sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves.  I adapted those recipes to my tastes. I like my pumpkin spices to pop.  I used the same method for the Chai spiced syrup.

Pour this over anything. Pancakes, waffles, Pumpkin Spice Dutch Babies ...pour it into your coffee. Just do it.
Oven Roasted Pumpkin Puree
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Puree
Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree

Give Peas A Chance Pumpkin Spice Syrup

1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup water
3/4-1 cup pumpkin puree 
1/3 cup maple syrup (or 1 teaspoon maple syrup flavoring)- You can leave this out, but it's good!
3 sticks of cinnamon- next time I'm using 5+
5-10 whole cloves
6-9 crush cardamom pods (green)
2-3 teaspoons whole peppercorns- crushed with the flat part of a knife
3-4 slices crystallized ginger or crushed fresh ginger
2 pieces of dried mace, or ground nutmeg if desired 

  1. Optional step for a very smooth syrup, place the pumpkin and water into a blender and blend for a minute until silky smooth.
  2. Put everything in a pot, whisk it. 
  3. Bring it to a boil. Whisking often until the sugar is dissolved. 
  4. Simmer until reduced, for 10 minutes until thick like maple syrup. 
  5. Let the mixture cool. 
  6. Remove spices, you can use a strainer, but makes sure it's not too fine of a strainer. The pumpkin will look like a gel almost. 
  7. Store in the refrigerator in a glass jar or bottle for  up to a week. 
  8. Shake before each use.
Use to taste with Chai, coffee, in a latte, steamed milk- my kids FAVE, ice cream, replace the sugar in a Dutch baby, I used it to make Popsicle's with pumpkin puree and whipping cream and a touch more maple syrup.

Give Peas A Chance Chai spiced syrup

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
10 crushed cardamom pods
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns-crushed
6 sticks cinnamon
3 slices of ginger or crystallized ginger
5 cloves
6-10 all spice berries- crushed
Follow the same method as above.

Great for coffee, black tea, ice cream, steamed milks, glazed carrots- seriously, throw some sliced carrots in a sauce pan with some water to cover, boil until fork tender and the water is evaporated. Toss in a tablespoon of butter and some of this syrup and let it glaze. NOM NOM.
Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Katherine,
    Thanks for this recipe. I would definitely make it for all the homemade teas and pumpkin spiced latte's that we would be having once the weather is a little cooler.

    BTW, thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're welcome! thanks for visiting mine <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.