Some nights I like to plan for something easy on the menu that takes very little time and doesn't require a trip to the grocery store. These chickpeas are quick, easy, and healthy. Diced chicken is pictured but I've made them without also. If you want to use chicken, just dice up a chicken breast and saute it to brown before adding the chickpeas and tomatoes. Leave it out for a wonderful vegan dish! This dish is very easy children can chop vegetables, saute them. They can rinse the chickpeas, or pick them over if you are using dry ones . Very easy family friendly dish! I hope you'll try it.
If you are looking for the Instant Pot version of this dish, please follow the link here.
Give Peas A Chance- Easy Peasy Curry Chickpeas1-2 tablespoons olive oil, or coconut oil
1 chicken breast cubed, if using
1-2 jalapenos- seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 inch ginger peeled and minced
2-4 teaspoons curry powder
2 cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
28 ounces diced tomatoes or half tomato sauce/half diced tomatoes
*1 cup broth or water (if needed)
1/8- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Brown chicken breast in oil, if using. Then remove from the pan and set it aside.
- If not using chicken, saute the onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno in the oil. Just until the onions are translucent. They shouldn't be caramelizing.
- Add curry powder and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas, salt, tomatoes and sauce to the pot and stir.
- Return chicken to the pot if using.
- Simmer the curry, adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add broth/water if you like a more saucy dish.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro before serving.
- Serve with naan bread, rice, quinoa, or whatever you'd like!
To cook dried/raw chickpeas in an Instant Pot:
- Place chickpeas in the insert.
- Add water until the peas are covered about one inch.
- If the chickpeas were soaked over night, rinse and cook on HP for 20-25 minutes.
- If they were not soaked, just rinsed and picked over, cook on HP 35-40 minutes.
- Let the pot release pressure for 15 minutes naturally.
- I will say I prefer them soaked overnight. I just like the texture better.
Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance