Saturday, November 9, 2013

Green Chile Corn Chowder


I'm not sure I've ever made Corn Chowder before. This chowder was quite the gamble for me. It has both potatoes and corn kernels in it. I've tried to stay away from anything with corn kernels because the children don't really like just kernels, but they love corn on the cob. It's only recently that they have been eating potatoes (white/yellow) also. Unless it was fries/chips, mashed and drenched in gravy, or butter stewed they weren't too interested in potatoes. They love my Best Baked Potatoes now, and will eat oven roasted potatoes if they are seasoned well and crisp on the outside. I just never make a big deal about foods that don't have much nutritional value, and while white potatoes have some, they really are just starch. That, and I'm not a fan of potatoes either. Whoa... life story there. Sorry. Moving on. This chowder is just a little spicy, it's easy to make, even my children ate it! I can't say they loved it and asked for seconds, but potatoes and corn kernels you know? The bacon helped :P 
I wish I had fresh Hatch Chiles here but I don't. Last year I found some locally. No such luck this year, and I'm not sure I want to order online yet. Who knows. I may cave. As per the notes below use your favorite chiles. I found Hatch Chiles canned.
Make this chowder for those cool Fall and Winter nights that are coming quickly! It's a quick weeknight meal.



Give Peas A Chance Green Chile Corn Chowder

1 pound bacon
1 tablespoon reserved bacon grease
2 small potatoes- scrubbed and chop into bite sized pieces (see note for baked potatoes)
1 onion chopped
1 jalapeno chopped 
1 -2 cloves garlic minced 
2 stalks celery diced
2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon onion powder 
Salt
Pepper
6-8 cups stock
1/4 cup masa harina
1 small bag sweet baby corn kernels (16 ounces or less)
1-2 cups cooked chicken
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk

Toppings/Garnishes 
Crumbled cooked bacon
Celery leaves, chopped
Shredded cheese
Cilantro leaves, chopped
Jalapenos, sliced

  1. Cook the bacon in the same pot you are making your chowder in.
  2. Drain bacon on paper towels and reserve for later.
  3. Add 1-2 tablespoons bacon grease into the pot, turn heat to medium high.
  4. Brown the potatoes on all sides.
  5. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno, cook until the onion is translucent.
  6. Add chili powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, and  green chilies.
  7. Stir in chicken stock, scraping the bottom of the pan to get all the brown bits off. 
  8. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
  9. Stir 3/4 cup of water into the masa. Stir this into the chowder.
  10. Simmer for five minutes.
  11. Stir in corn, chicken, cream, and milk.
  12. Taste. Adjust seasonings.
  13. Simmer until heated through.
  14. Serve with crumbled bacon on top and other garnishes as desired.

-Chili powder- use half Chipotle and half regular if you like a little smokiness, use all Chipotle if you like more smoky flavors, use just regular chili powder if you don't want any smoke flavor.

-Pour bacon grease into a measuring cup so that the solids can sink to the bottom. Pour the bacon grease into a mason jar or whatever you use to save bacon grease for cooking.  Please don't disappoint me by throwing your bacon grease out.

-Hatch green chilies- if you don't have Hatch use any green chillies you like. Canned or fresh. For fresh just roast them per instructions here, peel, remove the seeds, and chop. You can use fresh Hatch Green chiles, Poblanos, Anaheim. Whatever you like.

- Baked potatoes, if you have a few baked potatoes sitting around cube two of them and add them when the chowder is simmering to heat. Puree one of the potatoes with a little stock or milk to thicken the chowder. Add the puree at the end of the cooking time.

- I had leftover roasted turkey, you can use chicken that's been roasted, poached, grilled. Or leave out the chicken/turkey.

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.