Saturday, October 19, 2013

Simply Stinking Good Hummus

Sometimes things can be simplified and it's just better. This hummus is one of those dishes- for me. It used to be that when I wanted to make hummus I had two problems
1. I had to go out and buy tahini because I didn't have any.
2. I had tahini but it was expired. 
After I made hummus, I had tahini sitting in the fridge and there's TWO things I use tahini for. Hummus and Sukiyaki Sauce- which is awesome, but that's another post. I just don't use tahini enough. So I decided to make hummus without it. I add a little something to give it that tahini flavor, it's an ingredient I always have  on hand, AND it has a longer shelf life. Perfection. Simple. Easy. Still stinking good.
If you'd like some Pita bread with your hummus, I've got you covered HERE.

Give Peas A Chance Simply Stinking Good Hummus

1- 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained, or one can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
1-2 cloves of garlic, grated (or mashed into a paste with a little salt)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
1 Lemon, reserve zest
Water
Kosher salt
Cayenne pepper (to taste, optional)

Top with-
Olive oil
Paprika
Flat leaf parsley, chopped
  1. Place chickpeas in the food processor or blender.
  2. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil to the food processor, processes until smooth. 
  3. Add lemon zest (optional) and juice from half the lemon and process.
  4. Add remaining oil to the chickpeas, if needed to get the consistency smooth. 
  5. If the hummus is not as smooth a consistency you like, add a tablespoon of water at a time and process.
  6. TASTE.
  7. Add salt, lemon juice, and sesame oil to adjust seasonings as needed.
  8. Transfer hummus to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and top with paprika and or flat leaf parsley.


-Roasted Garlic can be used
-I usually double this recipe.
-It's not traditional but curry powder, or cumin are good in hummus also.




Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I love hummus but every time I've tried to make it, it never came out right. I'll have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it! I Had to put my last batch in a blender because it would'nt get smooth

      Delete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.