Sometimes things can be simplified, and it works for us. This hummus is one of those dishes- for me. It used to be that when I wanted to make hummus, I had two problems
1. I had to go out and buy tahini because I didn't have any.
2. I had tahini, but it was expired.
After I made hummus, I had tahini sitting in the fridge, and there are TWO things I use tahini for. Hummus and Sukiyaki Sauce- which is awesome, but that's another post. I just don't use tahini enough. So I decided to make hummus without it. I add a little something to give it that tahini flavor, it's an ingredient I always have on hand, AND it has a longer shelf life. Perfection. Simple. Easy. Still stinking good. I know this isn't traditional, but it really does work in a pinch.
If you'd like some Pita bread with your hummus, I've got you covered HERE.
If you'd like some Pita bread with your hummus, I've got you covered HERE.
Give Peas A Chance: Simply Stinking Good Hummus
1- 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained, or one can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1-2 cloves of garlic, grated (or mashed into a paste with a little salt)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
1 Lemon, reserve zest
Water
Kosher salt
Cayenne pepper (to taste, optional)
Top with-
Olive oil
Paprika
Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Place chickpeas in the food processor or blender.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil to the food processor, processes until smooth.
- Add lemon zest (optional) and juice from half the lemon and process.
- Add remaining oil to the chickpeas, if needed, to get the consistency smooth.
- If the hummus is not as smooth a consistency as you like, add a tablespoon of water at a time and process.
- TASTE.
- Add salt, lemon juice, and sesame oil to adjust seasonings as needed.
- Transfer hummus to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and top with paprika and/or flat-leaf parsley.
-Roasted Garlic can be used
-I usually double this recipe.
-It's not traditional, but curry powder or cumin are good in hummus also.


I love hummus but every time I've tried to make it, it never came out right. I'll have to try this recipe!
ReplyDeleteLet me know how you like it! I Had to put my last batch in a blender because it would'nt get smooth
Delete