|Creamed Cheese is an easy side dish that can be made with ingredients that are on hand.|
This recipe is fairly easy for kids to help out with. They can measure ingredients, help chop onions, grate garlic with a microplane, stir the roux and creamed spinach. They can also help top it with cheese for baking.
Give Peas A Chance Creamed SpinachMakes 6-8 servings
6 Tbs unsalted sweet cream butter
5 Tbs All purpose flour
1 small onion minced
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/4- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cup milk
4 oz cream cheese*
1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach
1/4 cup chicken broth (or water)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cheese (parmesan or mozzarella) to top if baking.
- In a saucepan heat 2T butter and sauté the onions, and garlic.
- Push the onion to the side.
- Add remaining butter to the pan, heat until foamy.
- Sprinkle flour on top, stir and cook until the flour smells nutty. The roux should be thick, but creamy, not crumbly. Add butter if needed.
- Whisk in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cream cheese, and milk.
- Cook until thick, keep in mind that this will continue cooking while on the stove, and in the oven if you bake it.
- Stir in frozen spinach, cook until the spinach is warmed through.
- Fold in cheese.
- Season to taste.
- At this point, you can serve the creamed spinach. Or put the Creamed Spinach into ramekins or a baking dish and baking in a 375 degree oven, top with cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
* If your sauce is too thick add some chicken stock or milk.
* Heavy cream can be used for a richer dish.