Friday, November 23, 2007

Creamed Spinach

My girls love this stuff and it's so easy to make. Sometimes I bake it so that it has a nice browned bubbly crust on top. But if you're in a hurry you don't need to. I have a recipe that I go by but at this point I don't use measurements when I make it.

Creamed Spinach
Makes 6-8 servings
6 Tbs unsalted sweet cream butter (divided)
6 Tbs All purpose flour
Salt
Black pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cup half and half
4 oz cream cheese
1 small onion minced
1 garlic clove minced
2 (10 oz) packages frozen spinach
1/4 cup chicken broth (or water)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a sauce pan heat 2T butter and sauté the onions. Stir in spinach and broth, cover and simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove spinach mixture into a serving dish. In the same pan melt butter. Once it starts to foam add the flour, salt, pepper, garlic and nutmeg and make a roux. (Cook the mixture until the flour is lightly browned and has a nutty aroma, not a doughy one.) Whisk in your half and half making sure all lumps are gone, stir in cream cheese. Stir until the sauce is thick and cream cheese is incorporated. Add spinach back into the sauce pan, remove from heat. Fold in Parmesan cheese. Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese.
*if your sauce is too thick add some more chicken stock to the sauce before adding the spinach.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.