Monday, September 23, 2013

Khao Piek Sen- Lao Chicken Noodle Soup (Gluten Free)


I've posted Khao Piek Sen before, the original post is here. I haven't change much of anything in these noodles but they are so easily adapted and flavored. It's not traditional but I've listed some add in options at the bottom of this post. I will say this, you should make these without anything first, pure, simple, and easy. The way they were intended. Just a good flavorful broth for the noodles to swim in.
I've mentioned before these are so simple. You can make them by hand, in a stand mixer with a dough hook. There's only three ingredients, four if you add salt. No pasta machine is needed, just roll with a rolling pin and hand cut.

Both bags of flours have just rice, or just tapioca (and water- go figure). If you are truly gluten free for health reasons, obviously you'll have to find flours that are specified as gluten free, cross contamination and all that in the factory stuff. Just in case. .
These are the flours I use.
Broth. I just make my own, chicken bones, onion, garlic, veggies, lots of whole black peppercorns and such. Strain and ta-da, best soup base. I like chicken, beef, or pork for this soup. It's up to you though! Make it all veggie with vegetable broth and add tons of yummy bok choy, mushrooms, carrots, and more. 

Hand rolled and hand cut noodles.
My mom also taught me how to make  fun shapes with a fork, but they take forever when there are five people to feed.
To make curls, take a small amount of dough, about the size of a marble. Spread it out on the fork, and then roll the dough up. Easy, and time consuming.

Give Peas A Chance Khao Piek Sen (Lao Gluten Free Rice Noodles)

Serves 5-8 people 
14 ounce bag of Tapioca Flour
16 ounce bag of Rice Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3-4 cups of Boiling water 

  1. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl, or in the bowl of your mixer. (I reserved about 6 tablespoons of rice flour for rolling out the dough.)
  2. Add boiling water one cup at a time. Mix with the dough hook of a stand mixer, or use a large wooden spoon.
  3. Keep adding water until the dough comes together. The dough should not be sticky, just add enough water for it to come together. When you pick up a piece it should stick to itself, not your fingers.
  4. Roll out the dough into sheets that are a little over 1/8th of an inch thick. The sheets do not need to be thin. Use the reserved rice flour to prevent the noodles and dough from sticking.
  5. Once rolled cut the sheets of dough into noodles, about the thickness of Udon noodles.
  6. Separate the noodles, if needed toss in a tiny bit of rice flour to keep from sticking.
  7. You can also roll the dough off of a fork to make little curls, but if I did that for my whole family it would take forever. You can see how my mom does it HERE. Or scroll down and see my yucky phone pictures of my curls.
  8. If you have leftover noodles, toss them with some rice flour. Then place the noodles in an airtight container lined with some paper towels.
To cook the noodles- I cook the noodles in small batches. A handful per bowl at a time.
  1. Bring a pot of water to boil, add a little salt to the water- salt is optional, my mom never did, but I do.
  2. Add a handful or two of noodles to the pot, boil for about a minute or two. Not long, and cooking time depends on the thickness of the noodles you cut.
  3. Noodles should be a bit chewy, not mushy.
  4. Remove noodles from water with a strainer.
  5. Serve with your favorite broth.

Things you can add to the dough-
Curry powder
Chicken bouillon
Herbs- dried or fresh finely chopped

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice recipe, i tried it yesterday. The only difference was that i added some hemp seeds. My children just love it, thanks a lot for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I'm so glad you liked it and let me know too! Thank you. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. All of my attempts with the khao piek sen broth have been a miss and they always end up tasting like American chicken noodle soup broth instead of having a Lao/Asian taste to it. Any tips with the broth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there.
      I have a spice ball and in it I put whole cloves of garlic, whole black peppercorns, fried garlic (like the stuff ppl sprinkle on pho) and the stems of a bunch of cilantro.
      when I serve I put fish sauce on the table LOL

      Delete

  3. Thank you for sharing your recipes. Have you tried this recipe in the philips pasta machine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your recipes. I'd like to know if you have used the philips pasta machine to make the Lao Gluten free rice noodles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.