Monday, September 14, 2009

Khao Piek Sen Noodles with mom...

I love these noodles. They are so simple as far as ingredients. Fairly easy to make as far as pasta/noodles go. You don't need a pasta machine because you don't need to roll out thin sheets. They have a chewy bite to them, much like udon noodles but they have no wheat flour and they aren't as thick. My mom and I made these when the girls and I visited this summer. I am not sure what you call them in English. Khao Piek Sen, is what we call them. Which translates to "rice, wet, strands"
They aren't a true rice noodle because they have tapioca flour. Whatever they are called they are good.

Give Peas A Chance Khao Piek Sen
1 package tapioca flour (14 ounces)
1 package rice flour (16 ounces)
Salt  (optional)
boiling water


Mix the flours in a large bowl.

Add boiling water, a cup at a time. I think we ended up putting about 3-4 cups in there?

Mix it well each time.

It will start coming together.

You don't want it too sticky.

Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Until smooth, it won't be elastic like a wheat dough.

Roll out the dough and cut into slices.

They can be fairly thick, not as thick as udon noodles though.


Drop the noodles into boiling water and cook until al dente. These will have a chewy bite to them that is fabulous. My mom and I served them with a chicken soup broth.

My mom shaped some with a fork into little curls too. Cute huh?



Give Peas A Chance Khao Piek Sen
1 package tapioca flour (14 ounces)
1 package rice flour (16 ounces)
2-4 cups boiling water


Mix the flours in a large bowl.
Add boiling water, a cup at a time.
Mix it well each time.
It will start coming together.
You don't want it too sticky. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Until smooth, it won't be elastic like a wheat dough.
Roll out the dough and cut into slices.
They can be fairly thick, not as thick as udon noodles though.
Drop the noodles into boiling water and cook until al dente. These will have a chewy bite to them that is fabulous.
Served them with a chicken soup broth.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I just found this post today and can't thank you enough. I have always baked and cooked from scratch. Due to health reasons I can't eat gluten,dairy or soy. Your step by step pictures are really helpful. THANK YOU!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'rej welcome have a wonderful week.
      I think gluten just is so harmful to a lot of ppl!

      Delete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.