Monday, June 17, 2013

Give Peas A Chance- Chicken Pot Pie

Today's MaNIc MoNDaY is from a post that I did back in October 2007. I don't follow are recipe for this anymore, but it's a family favorite. Sometimes I change the veggies up a bit, sometimes I use grilled chicken, roasted chicken, poached chicken. Sometimes I add different herbs, thyme, sage, oregano, rosemary, etc...
It's one of those meals I plan ahead for. Grilling chicken? Grill extra. Making soup? Throw in chicken breasts to poach. Roasting a bird? Save the bones for stock and some meat for pot pie. So easy, so yummy.
Here's the original post on Give Peas A Chance. Recipe is below also.



Give Peas A Chance Chicken Pot Pie

2-3 Chicken breasts - cooked and shredded or cubed
5 TBS butter
4 TBS all purpose flour
1 Minced garlic clove
1 Small onion diced
~ 2 cups Frozen peas, carrots, green beans, etc
  1 and 1/2 cup Chicken broth
3/4 cup Heavy cream or milk
Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Poultry seasoning, or sage, thyme, rosemary, etc
Fresh chopped parsley (optional)
1 Package of roll out Pillsbury pie crust
1 Egg

  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Take the pie crusts out of the fridge so they come to room temperature. Or make some crust.
  3. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a medium sauce pan and sweat the onion along with the garlic.
  4. Once the onions are soft add the butter and heat until foaming, add the flour to make a roux.
  5. Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook until lightly browned. 
  6. Add chicken broth and a bit of heavy cream, stir so there are no lumps. 
  7. Add the frozen vegetables, parsley and chicken with reserved juices and stir. 
  8. Heat the mixture until thick, add more broth/milk/water as needed. 
  9. Season filling to taste.
  10. While the filling is thickening lined to deep dish pie plate with a pie crust and beat an egg in a small bowl and set aside. 
  11. Ladle filing into the pie crust, top with second crust, flute ends and make slits on top of the pie to vent. 
  12. Brush with the egg wash. 
  13. Bake for 15 mins at 375, then turn the oven down to 350, put a pie crust shield on the pie and bake for another 30 minutes. 
  14. If you don't have a pie shield you can use foil around the edges of the pie.

I have made this without any broth. You can use all milk, water and milk, just broth.

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +


Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I love chicken pot pie! I grew up on this, but unfortunately most of what I ate was the frozen kind! Thanks for sharing this recipe - I'm gonna have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chicken pot pie and this post is making my mouth water! I so wish I could organize myself better so I could cook meals like this. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the last time i made ck pot pie i used tyson's mesquite chicken and it was soooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've used tyson's already cooked mesquite chicken in my pot pie and it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.