Monday, October 22, 2007

Comfort food made easy peasy... (Chicken Pot Pie)

OK, for some this is comfort food, for me it is convenience food. The kind of meal I can make at anytime because the ingredients are so simple, I always have them on hand and it's easy to make. Besides I never grew up eating pot pies or casseroles, Pho is my comfort food. This is a recipe I got off of the Pillsbury pie crust box and I just make it off the top of my head now, so I am unsure what's in the original recipe. I was too lazy to walk outside to get some fresh parsley so we did without. I am unsure my family noticed. I don't make pie crusts, I tried once and my oven became an oozing buttery mess. So I don't bother. If you have leftover rotisserie chicken that's a great short cut for this recipe also. I have used leftover turkey also.
Chicken Pot Pie
3 Chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
5 TBS butter
4 TBS all purpose flour
1 TBS Olive oil
1 Minced garlic clove
1 Small onion diced
(from this point on I just eyeballed it, so no measurements)
~ 2 cups Frozen peas, carrots, green beans, and corn
Chicken broth
Heavy cream or milk
Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Poultry seasoning
Fresh chopped parsley (optional)
1 Package of roll out Pillsbury pie crust
1 Egg

I prefer my chicken broiled as opposed to boiled so I salt and peppered the chicken and broiled it in the oven, then I cut it up and set it aside with the juices.
Preheat oven to 375
Take the pie crusts out of the fridge so they come to room temperature. In the mean time heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan and sweat the onion along with the garlic. Once the onions are soft add the butter and heat until foaming, add the flour to make a rue. Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook until lightly browned. Add chicken broth and a bit of heavy cream, stir so there are no lumps. Add the frozen vegetables, parsley and chicken with reserved juices and stir. Heat the mixture until thick, add more broth as needed. While the filling is thickening lined to deep dish pie plate with a pie crust and beat an egg in a small bowl and set aside. Ladle filing into the pie crust, top with second crust, flute ends and make slits on top of the pie to vent. Brush with the egg wash. Bake for 15 mins at 375, then turn the oven down to 350, put a pie crust shield on the pie and bake for another 30 minutes. If you don't have a pie shield you can use foil around the edges of the pie.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.