Saturday, September 29, 2012

GF/DF "cream of" soups and gravy starts here...


Oh my gosh people. I think this gravy is AMAZING. Really it is. By pure accident I made it. It's INCREDIBLE. It's actually healthy, okay perhaps it's not a health food, but it's gravy. THICK, creamy, flavorful gravy. No flour, no grain, and no dairy. Stay with me here. I promise you it's good.
This gravy came about when I was making Easter dinner. DH was frying up a turkey, we have this oil-less fryer that catches the juices as it drips from the turkey. U-MA-MI. I decided I was going to make a cauliflower/potato mash. I steamed the cauliflower until very tender. Threw it in the Vitamix with a tablespoon of butter and some stock. Whirled it up, and it became this SMOOTH consistency that reminded me of gravy! WHAT?! Did you all know this? I bet you all knew this, and nobody told me? I doctored it up some more and we had a YUM YUM gravy. I didn't season the turkey at all before DH fried it so this left wiggle room to season the gravy like I wanted.
When I made steak fingers, I used pan drippings to flavor my gravy and it was perfect! No one said it tasted funny or anything. I finally told DH it was cauliflower, he couldn't tell. But they all loved the gravy!

More GPAC on ChowStalker.
 Find me on ChowStalker.


Do you need a cream of something soup? Whirl up some cauliflower and add what you need.
Vegetable stock
Chicken stock
Beef stock
Sauteed celery and onions for cream of celery
Sauteed mushrooms for cream of mushroom
Chopped cooked chicken for cream of chicken soup
Roasted asparagus pieces for cream of asparagus
Humble cauliflower, who knew?

GPAC Gluten free/Dairy free/Grain free Gravy

This recipe calls for pan drippings. Usually if I'm making a gravy I have some sort of pan drippings that I make a roux with. Reserve about 1/4 cup and use this to taste in your gravy. This can be from an oven roast, from pan frying bacon, sausage, or chicken, or drippings from your crock pot. If you don't have drippings, just season to taste- add a teaspoon of Better than Bouillon, or a tablespoon or two of butter is good also- if you eat dairy.
Recipe yields 2 cups of gravy, depending on the size of the cauliflower
 1/2 head of cauliflower- steamed until tender
8 ounces of stock
salt
pepper
3 tablespoons to 1/3 cup of pan drippings

Place cauliflower and 1/2 of the stock in a blender. Blend and puree until smooth. This shouldn't be grainy, it will be smooth and creamy. Add the remaining stock and some pan drippings, blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Try this with any gravy, sausage, turkey, chicken, beef, a white gravy, you can add milk if you like. 

 GPAC Gluten free/Dairy free/ Grain free "Cream of" whatever base

1/2 head of cauliflower - steamed until tender
4-8 ounces of stock
salt
pepper

Place everything in a blender and puree until smooth. Start with 4 ounces of stock and work up to the consistency you want.
I have not baked casseroles with this, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. It doesn't separate.
Do you need a cream of something soup? Whirl up some cauliflower and add what you need.
Vegetable stock
Chicken stock
Beef stock
Sauteed celery and onions for cream of celery
Sauteed mushrooms for cream of mushroom
Chopped cooked chicken for cream of chicken soup
Roasted asparagus pieces for cream of asparagus
Season to taste with onion powder and garlic powder.


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Katherine - this is very inventive. Thanks for liking in with Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome thanks for letting me link up!

      Delete
  2. I've been playing around with making "cream sauces" and even salad dressings and dips from pureed veggies, including cauliflower, but we don't eat much gravy so I never thought of trying it. I'm sure this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, I just found this recipe for the cream soups, and I'm eager to try it. I am wondering if you've tried canning it in jelly jars. Or, is it better to freeze the extra?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am eager to try this recipe I just found for the cream soups. I am wondering if you've ever tried canning this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.