Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Manic Monday- Chicken Madaline

I'm sad to say that I don't make this often. I really like it, it's simple but good food. The girls will eat it but it's not one of those dishes they ask me to make.
 I've posted this before HERE.
You don't have to use Velveeta cheese, or canned cream soups. Sub shredded cheddar cheese for the Velveeta, and make this healthy substitute HERE for the canned soups.
Do you have any dishes you enjoy but your family is like "eh" over? 

Chicken Madaline

Here's what you need
1 Chicken or 4-6 breasts
1 Medium onion (chopped)
1 Stick of celery (chopped)
1 Green bell pepper (chopped)
1 jalapeno- diced (seeded if you'd like)
4 Tablespoons of butter
1 Pound Velveeta Cheese (or 2-4 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese, I would go 2 cups you can add 4 ounces of cream cheese if you want it creamier also)
3 Ounces roasted red bell pepper (diced)
Salt
Pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Can cream of mushroom soup (the small ones what are they like 15 oz?)
1 Can cream of chicken soup
2 cups reserved chicken/pasta water
1 pound Pkg. of spaghetti


  1. Boil chicken in salted water once the juices run clear remove the chicken to cool. Reserve the cooking water for the pasta.
  2. Cook your spaghetti in the reserved chicken water for 5-6 minutes, until almost done. Reserve 2 cups of cooking liquid. Drain the pasta and set it aside. 
  3. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, remove the bones if you are using a whole chicken.
  4. Melt the butter in the empty pot.
  5. Sweat your vegetables in the butter, don't brown them just make them soft and the onions translucent.
  6. Add your cream soups, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and jar of drained pimentos or roasted red peppers.
  7. Toss 2 /12 cups of shredded cheese OR all of the Velveeta cheese into the pot. Stir until combined.
  8. Stir in chicken and pasta. Adding reserved pasta water as needed.
  9. Place all of this goodness into a 10x13 pan.
  10. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Top with remaining shredded cheese- if using, and bake for another 15 minutes. 
*If using leftover chicken just skip the first step. I add 2 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon to the mix in step 6  also.
I only use about 2 chicken breasts anymore, we don't miss all the meat. You can also just use thighs if you like dark meat.

Wordless/Repeat Wednesday's are now posting on Monday's under the tag Manic Monday*
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.