Monday, September 5, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant Toadstools

This is the first time I've made fondant. I don't like fondant. It's just too sweet for me. But I thought it would be the easiest way to decorate this cake for Pixie's Smurfday. I wanted to attempt a toadstool cake but I had so much going on already. My family loved these. To me they taste like marshmallows. The only way I like marshmallows is toasted over a flame.
I saw this method on pinterest from Clockwork Lemon, but you can find it all over. This method says to knead in the coloring but I didn't want to get my hands stained.
Look at Gardener Smurf. Tee hee.

 Marshmallows
Powdered sugar
Gel food coloring
Butter- I had this out just in case I needed to soften my fondant
Flavoring oil if desired
Pam butter spray
Spatula
Dough scraper (very handy)



Put the marshmallows in a bowl. Sprinkle a little bit of water on marshmallows. Toss the marshmallows just until they are slightly damp.
Heat them in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time until they are plump. Stir them with a buttered or Pam sprayed spatula. (At this point for the red fondant I put in the gel coloring. You'll be kneading in powdered sugar so it will getting lighter.)
If you want add flavoring oil and stir the marshmallows.
Next put a some powdered sugar on a clean surface. I used what looked like a 1:1 ratio. I used a silpat for kneading. No measurements, sorry. Take the dough scrapper and start folding the powdered sugar into the marshmallow. It takes a while to incorporate it.


Keep adding powdered sugar until you can knead the fondant. You want the consistency to be like dough you can roll. It shouldn't be sticky or too tacky.

*At this point you can lightly spray some cling wrap and wrap the fondant up. Place it in a zip top bag or plastic container to store for later. I put mine in the fridge, but I don't think you're supposed to. When you are ready to use the fondant if it's sticky add more powdered sugar, if its too hard knead in softened butter.*
For the toadstools, I made these stems first. Make sure the base is wide and the stem is not too narrow. They won't stand well if the stem is narrow or the base isn't wide. Let these dry for a little bit. I put them in the fridge to firm up.
For the tops of the toadstools, roll the red fondant into little balls. With the end of a chopstick or your pinky make a hole in the ball, just enough to place over a stem. When you make the hole the ball will flatten a bit to look like the top of a toadstool. For the spots, roll tiny balls of fondant. Flatten them and place on top of the toadstools. I used a TINY bit of water to make it stick. Store these in an airtight container in a cool dry place. Not the fridge, it's too humid.
Some of my toadstools didn't stand, but it was no biggie.
*check out more Smurfday posts by searching Smurf Party, I'll be adding more posts as I go.

For more Smurfday posts on GPAC click below
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I gotta say I'm a little humbled to admit I had no idea fondant was made with marshmallows, much less that it is so easy to make!!! I'm going to have to try making my own. I'm not overly 'fond' of it myself, but when I use it, I usually just buy the premade white and color it. hahahaha!! Super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's usually not made with marshmallow this one was just the easiest to me lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm still gonna try it! haha!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.