Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Bars

Yes, another pumpkin recipe. I saw this one and I had to try it. The crust is buttery, but not greasy. I love the oats in it. I left the nuts out but if you use them, toast them a it first. I love nuts but Diva can't have walnuts.
The filling is like a pumpkin pie filling. It was good but DH and I both agreed that it needed more spice so I added some to the recipe. Next time I make this I will use less granulated sugar or add another 4 oz of creamed cheese, we just don't like things that sweet. But it's an awesome dessert. Easy to make, great pumpkin flavor and very good.
See those white spots? It's sooo cold in this house the cream cheese didn't softened up very well in spite of being out for a few hours.

Pumpkin Pie Bars

Adapted from Joy The Baker
1 1/3 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar (Divided)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 15oz can pumpkin or about two cups of homemade pumpkin puree

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional-
chocolate chips, butter scotch chips or cinnamon chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the flour, brown sugar and 1/4 cup of sugar and cut in butter. I put it all in my food processor and Piglet helped me with the pulsing of the machine. You want it to look like coarse crumbs.




Add the oats. If using nuts, add them now. Stir to combine.
Reserve 1 cup of this mixture.








Press the mixture into a 9x13 pan that is lined with parchment. Make sure the parchment comes up the sides a bit so you can lift the bars out later.







Beat the cream cheese until fluffy, add eggs. Beat well. Beat in pumpkin and remaining sugar, spices and vanilla.
Stir in chocolate, butter scotch or cinnamon chips if using.





Pour mixture over the top of the crust, sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set, test it with a knife. Poke a knife in the middle and if it comes out clean it's done. It will set up as it cools.
Let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Then lift it out of the pan to finish cooling on a rack before cutting. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.


Pumpkin Pie Bars

Adapted from Joy The Baker
1 1/3 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar (Divided)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 15oz can pumpkin or about two cups of homemade pumpkin puree

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional-
chocolate chips, butterscotch chips or cinnamon chips



  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Mix the flour, brown sugar and 1/4 cup of sugar and cut in butter or use a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. Add the oats. If using nuts, add them now. Stir to combine.
  4. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture.
  5. Press the mixture into a 9x13 pan that is lined with parchment. Make sure the parchment comes up the sides a bit so you can lift the bars out later.
  6. Beat the cream cheese until fluffy, add eggs.  
  7. Beat in pumpkin and remaining sugar, spices and vanilla.
  8. Stir in chocolate, butterscotch or cinnamon chips if using.
  9. Pour mixture over the top of the crust, sprinkle with reserved topping. 
  10. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set, test it with a knife. Poke a knife in the middle and if it comes out clean it's done. It will set up as it cools.
  11. Let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Then lift it out of the pan to finish cooling on a rack before cutting. 
  12. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.



Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. These look so yummy!! Great job!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delicious! I'm making a second batch to take to church tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay I am soo glad you liked them I love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic, Katherine- thanks for sharing. I made them last night when we had someone over for dinner. I served them with whipped cream- YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you liked them June!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am putting pumpkin pie spice on my list so I can try these.. other than the nuts I think we have everything we need!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.