Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pizza Rolls

These are a fun alternative to traditional pizza. They are fun to pull apart for the kids and easy to make. Just use any pizza dough you like. I use the standard dough I put in my bread machine. I do add garlic salt and Italian seasoning to the dough for another layer of flavor. I also tried this with store bought dough- the cans of pizza dough in the refrigerated biscuits section. They turned out fine but you could tell were made with store bought dough. I made a batch of these for dinner and another batch to flash freeze (before cooking) for later.



Pizza Rolls
Pizza dough
Mozzarella cheese- shredded
Pepperoni
Italian seasoning
Garlic salt
Butter melted
Parmesan cheese

You can use any fillings you like- ham, pineapple, spinach- cooked and excess water squeezed out, onion, mushrooms, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella balls, sausage, black olives, cooked pancetta.
I had some slices of provolone cheese that needed to be used up so I cut them up and used some fresh basil also.
You don't have to slice the pepperoni, I did because it is easier for Pixie to chew.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
I mixed the shredded cheese, sliced pepperoni, Italian seasoning and garlic salt together in a bowl. Break off a ball of dough that is about 1-2 tablespoons. Flatten it with your hands, place filling in the middle.
Pull up the sides of the dough and pinch it to seal, like you're making a Bao.
Dip the bottom of the roll in butter.
Roll it in the Parmesan.
Place the balls into a lightly greased baking dish.
Bake for about 20 minutes. Watch the tops if it gets too brown lay a piece of foil on top lightly.
Ta-da!
To flash freeze the rolls I made them without the butter and Parmesan. Then just like you would berries but them on a cookie sheet in a single layer not touching. Freeze. Once they are frozen transfer to a zip top bag. No need to thaw before you bake them.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.